1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Good idea to sell Mirage BPS-400 for SVS??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Edwin_H, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Edwin_H

Edwin_H Stunt Coordinator

Just looking for some expert opinions from the forum. I have a Mirage BPS-400 sub now and love it, but have seen so many great things said about SVS subs, that I have an itching for one now! In particular the 20-39 PC+
    Would I be making a wise choice to try a switch like this? Or will I notice an immense difference? My room is about 15x16 w/standard 8ft ceilings. I also have all hardwood floors. Any thoughts?

2. Edwin_H

Ok, I really do not get it. I have posted on 3 different forums numerous times and I never get replies unless I reply to my own to say c'mon and give me some help. What's up with that? Am I not asking the right question? Please give me some feedback.

-Ed

3. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

I am not an expert but was in a similar situation to you. I had 2 THX certified subs(an Altec Lansing 90lb beast and a Citation 7.4) and added a SVS 16-46. I was able to get rid of the Altec sub. I would recommend that you actually keep the Mirage and add a PCi(or + if budget allows) and you will get bass that is flat and powerful from about 14Hz up.

4. Edwin_H

Any more opinions?????? Please. [​IMG]
    -ed

5. Andy Bell

Andy Bell Stunt Coordinator

Edwin,

Here is my opinion for what it is worth.
    I have a SVS Ultra that I love and I have steered 2 friends into getting SVS subs. I have another friend that I helped with his HT purchases, and he decided to get the BPS-400. (Only paid $500 for it) All I can say is that I think the BPS-400 is a awesome sub.
    If you are curious about the SVS subs,you have a trial period to make sure you like it, and can return it if you don't. It would just cost you the shipping.

Hope this is of some help.

6. Phil_O

Phil_O Stunt Coordinator

I wouldn't trade in my BPS 400 for no stinkin SVS!! [​IMG]

7. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

I haven't heard the Mirage but the reviews I've read indicate it's a beast. However, it still might not have better overall performance than a SVS.
    Edwin, perhaps you could get a SVS owner in your area to bring over their sub to your place for a shootout. Or maybe someone will invite you to hear one at their home.
    Absent that, I suggest you keep your Mirage but order a SVS and do a shootout yourself. If you don't like the SVS then you simply pay for return shipment. If you like it, keep it and sell the Mirage. Case closed. [​IMG]

8. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

I think the Mirage BPS-400 is a good sub, but it's not competition for the 20-39PC Plus. I would even prefer the 20-39Pci over the BPS-400(not a knock to the Mirage, the SVS are just great).

9. Edwin_H

Any idea how much the shipping would set me back if I did a shootout but decided to stick w/the Mirage? This would be for a 20-39PC+. Thanks for the feedback so far guys. [​IMG]
    -Ed

10. Mike Butny

Mike Butny Stunt Coordinator

The BPS400 is the best hometheater sub availble.

11. Haru

Haru Stunt Coordinator

I like the BPS very much. I'd stick with it. too easy to get into the trap of feeling left out because you don't have what everyone else is talking about. You really start wondering how good it must be and the worth of what you do have really becomes doubtful. You go and spend xxx dollars in the buying, selling shipping, and then you have to keep the doubts at bay and stop yourself from asking if you're really gained anything. And of course very shortly what you have is not the hot thing anymore, and everyone is saying that this new thing beats that one flat and you're in the cycle once again.

THe fact is that BPS400 is an awesome. not awesome in the lingo of these days, but awesome as in the bass it creates is awe inspiring. So unless you are actually distatisfied with it, unless you would be wanting to get rid of it even if there was no SVS on the market, stick with it.

12. Patrick Wilmes

Patrick Wilmes Stunt Coordinator

I agree completely with Haru.The BPS is an incredible sub.Don't buy something just because everyone else is doing it.I think you'll regret it if you do.

13. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

14. Joe Wilmore

Joe Wilmore Stunt Coordinator

Evan I think most people would date the pretty girl. That is what life is about for most guys, wondering if someone else might have something better than you.

15. jeff_coil

jeff_coil Stunt Coordinator

My shipping for the 20-39 PC+ to Iowa was only $22

16. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

For my Ultra it was a little under $28. It really surprised me how low the shipping was. You can find out what your exact shipping will be by going through the motions of buying one but not completing the transaction.

17. Edwin_H

Thanks so much for the feedback guys. I really appreciate it, and I'm just going to stick with the Mirage, for now at least. At some point down the road I'm sure I'll get an SVS, but Evan hit the nail on the head. I love my BPS400, it's a beast and there it is. Thanks guys!

-Ed

18. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

Put some carpet on the floor.
    That is the biggest upgrade you could make.

-rob

19. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg

20. Mike Butny

Mike Butny Stunt Coordinator

If you ever want to sell your BPS400 sub let me know, I would love to have two of them.