What's new

good idea to build Titanic 2? (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
A few years ago, I remember reading stories about a Titanic 2 being constructed. does anyone know what ever became of it, and do you think it's such a good idea, what with superstition and all :)?

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I'm pretty sure it went nowhere, just some rich idiot's pipe dream.

I wouldn't name a new ocean liner Titanic any more than I'd want to give the name Arizona to a new warship. More to do with respect than superstition.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
What Paul said... I'm sure we could build a fairly safe ship sized proportionately like the titatic to today's cruise ships but it would seem silly psychologically to call it "Titanic 2".

Jay

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The current cruise ships are like 33% BIGGER than Titanic, so besides the name, there's no big deal to it.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis

Actually the Navy has named ships after similar ships sunk in battle. For example, the present fast frigate USS Reuben James is the third such-named ship, the first being the one sunk by U-boat in October 1941.

For that matter, there have been many USS Enterprises (e.g. CV-6, CVN-65), and at least one was destroyed in battle (in 1777).

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
And don't forget NCC-1701, 1701-A, 1701-B... :D

Seriously, there's no problem with naming new ships after sunken vessels. I could support a new liner called "Normandie" or even "Andrea Doria". "Titanic" and even "Lusitania" have such huge losses of life associated with their names that no one will ever want to use them again.

Similarly, the Arizona is practically "hallowed ground" to the Navy, which is why you'll never see another U.S.S. Arizona.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Building a second ship like TITANIC would have been a waste of time, anyway, I think that most people would have been too creeped out to sail on a ship that looks identical to a ship that sank and killed 1500 people.

As was said, a pipe dream, that's all it was.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
the diffrence with Titanic, is the public perspective.
Men had the arrogance to advertise her as 'unsinkable.'

to build a Titanic II would be 'asking for it' in parallel.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
LOL - for a minute, it sounded like they were going to raise the original ship...and all I kept thinking was: "The Titanic weighed 360 Million pounds???" :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks