Good idea for sub or no

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by ChrisLazarko, Aug 18, 2003.

1. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I have a Polk Audio PSW250 sub and it is currently connected from my Harman/Kardon AVR-225 reciever from the subwoofer output. I was curious is I should also hook up the Left and Right channel outputs into the sub and use it's crossover instead. Would this improve bass or would having both the sub output cable and the Left and Right channels using the crossover mess up the sub? Thank you for any opinions and help, I am wondering on ways to improve the sub output, especially on 2 channel material.

2. DavidES

DavidES Stunt Coordinator

The only way I found to improve my bass in 2 ch was to run Pro-logic with all speakers set to "small", center "none", and surrounds down about 3dB.

I get bass management in my Pro-logic mode on both digital and analogue inputs, so by doing the above-mentioned I was able to use my BFD and sub all the time for accurate bass.

You might have bass management available in Pro-logic on your A/V rec.

Just a thought,

3. ChrisLazarko

Yes I do, but it still sounds pathetic as ever.

4. Troy R

Troy R Stunt Coordinator

For 2 channel listening you have 3 options:

1. run the sub from the sub out of your receiver. set main speakers to small and sub to on, turn your subs crossover all the way up. that set up will use the receivers crossover. you'll just have to adjust the volume on the sub to your likings

2. run speaker wire from the receiver to the sub. then run speaker wire from the other set of binding posts on the sub to your main speakers. set the main speakers to large and the sub to off. this will use the subs crossover.

3. run speaker wire from the receiver to the sub. and run speaker wire from the receiver to your mains as normal. this will feed your mains and the sub a full range signal. just adjust the crossover and volume on the sub to your liking.

What are you main speakers?

5. ChrisLazarko

I am using Klipsch Quintet's and I know they start to dip off at the lower frequency's because of they are of course just satellite's. Unfortunatly my sub isn't the biggest punch either, just a Polk Audio PSW250. It sounds very good with this reciever but where the speakers start to dip, the sub doesn't pick up and leaves some of it out. It uses an 8" woofer.

I was wondering if I would be able to use both the sub out and run speaker wire from the sub and use it's crossover. Now I have heard it is a bad idea and can damage the sub. Is this true, is it better to use the sub out?

6. Troy R

Troy R Stunt Coordinator

You should use hook up option 2 then. find out how low your quintets go and adjust the crossover on the sub to a little higher than the quintets can go.

7. ChrisLazarko

what about the subwoofer out from the reciever?

8. Troy R

Troy R Stunt Coordinator

You shouldn't use that with those little sattelite speakers unless your receivers crossover can go up to about 120hz.

just use option 2. set your front speakers to large and sub to no. this will be the best hook up option for your set up.