What's new

Good HT Movies (1 Viewer)

Eric Crawford

Auditioning
I'm sure this has been discussed in great detail in other threads, but I just finished hooking up my HT and I need some opinions on movies. I have watched Matrix and the 5th element so far. What are some other movies I need to have in my collection?

Thanks,

Eric

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
It sounds like you're asking for suggestions of titles that would make good demo discs, so I'm moving this to Software. (The Movies forum is more about content, and many of the films under discussion aren't out on DVD yet.)
If I've misunderstood your inquiry, email me and I'll move it back.
M.

JohnHN

Stunt Coordinator
You'll find lots of threads on this and things haven't changed too much in the last few weeks. Many of the following are in the bad but fun camp. All are very good or excellent transfers.

Standard current show pieces: Fast and the Furious, Jurassic Park III, Planet of the Apes (remake), Pearl Harbor; these are all pretty much state of the art in terms of both sound and visuals. Star Wars I has great sound but the image is not first rate. Plus U-571, Mission Impossible 2, Vertical Limit, Cast Away, Apollo 13, the earlier Jurassic Parks (problems with DTS there, however). And how could anyone omit Saving Private Ryan? Sleepy Hollow is supposed to be first rate but I haven't seen it; ditto for Hannibal. And there are others ...

And I really like Almost Famous, Fly Away Home (anamorphic), and Shakespeare in Love, both as movies and as demos.

Animation are Shrek (hard to beat this if you just want to impress your friends), Toy Story II, Dinosaur, Titan A.E., and now Atlantis. Somewhat older are Bugs Life (anamorphic; have to get collectors edition; this is actually my personal favorite), Ghost in the Shell (anime with an amazing soundtrack), Prince of Egypt, and Tarzan.

Frankly, many (but not all) of these movies are pretty poor from a strictly movie point of view. But one of the things about home theater is that it makes mediocre stuff fun. I can even watch (gulp) Driven.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
I consider ID4 an excellent reference disc for showcasing HT! :) Gladiator and Fight Club are also cool for showing off.

Michael Kennedy

Auditioning
My current HT demo-type disks include JP, JP3, Twister, and SW Episode 1.

I'd give honorable mention to Men In Black, Tomb Raider and The Mummy.

Eric Crawford

Auditioning
Thanks everyone. I did some searching after I posted and found many threads dedicated to what I needed. I have a modest DVD collection so far (Jurassic Park, Men in Black, Matrix, Seven) and I think I will start expanding really soon.

Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks