What's new

Good HT in a very small room? (1 Viewer)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I may decide to move my HT set-up from my main living room, to a much smaller unused bedroom. The living room has 7 windows, and you'll need a degree in mathematics to tell me what shape it is (Its about 14' on one wall, 20' on another, with a corner closet in one spot, with a half-wall in another area, blah blah blah)
Anyway... possible Ht-room features
*roughly 8' wide by 14' long 7' ceiling (I plan to use soundboard or other sound-proofing elements on the walls)
*No windows
*one door (on a 12' wall)
Now assuming a chair is 3' deep, leaving 11' viewing area to the wall, how big a monitor should be good? (I was planning on a 16*9 RPTV , plasma is too much $$$ and a 24" deep RPTV would leave 9' of viewing space..so the 65" Sony is probably not too great an idea)
And since the room is so small... what kind of sound system should I think about? a 100watt reciever sounds like way to much when you consider the surrounds are three and a half feet from your head.
I've liked the sound of my Kenwood HTiB (I believe a 407, reciever & speaker set-up,no DVD-player included). But i think it may be too much. Maybe a unit with fewer watts (Such as the Onkyo envision)? Seperate amps seems far too overkill. But I also plan to pick-up an SVS PCi16-46 (I dont think I'll need the extra power of the PC+ series) because I love them LFE's!
Anyway.. Thanks in advance for any helpful advice :)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
correction.... the "one door" is on a 14' wall, not a twelve foot wall. And the door is about in the middle of the wall if it matters.

Will Orth

Stunt Coordinator
leaving 11' viewing area : well i Hve the same problem
i get a wide screen 16x9 ratio with about

68.5 x 29.5 viewable screen my wife thinks it is great so i will stick with it as i have a high screen area and have to use 16X9 or the screen is to high.

my distance is 11.5" from lens to screen,

Will

David Ison

Stunt Coordinator
I would have to consider a lcd projector ,less than 2000.oo,small won't take up any floor space , how about a sharp 7ft. picture? the panasonic ae-100 and the nec vt45 come to mind both can be had for less than 1500.oo BY the way the panny's aspect ratio is 16x9.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks