What's new

Good Horror Recommendations: Not the Obvious??? (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
A definite second for The Devil's Backbone by Del Toro. If you check it out and like it I'd also recommend his film Chronos, an interesting look at the concept of vampirism.

An excellent mainstream horror film thats seems to get overlooked (IMO), either because of it's title or the controversy surrounding it's director, is Jeepers Creepers. Intense, twisted, and an intersting and original antagonist. One of my favorite horror films from the last 10 years.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I saw a good horror movie on DVD about World War 1. Damn if i cant remember the name. It was about a few guys trapped in a trench on the German side, and one by one they went missing. If i say any thing else i will give it away. Maybe someone else will know they name of the thing. It was pretty recent, and a sleeper id assume.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member

Pretty sure that movie is Deathwatch which I still have yet to see, despite it making my radar for some time now.

I just thought of another. If you're R2 capable, I've been catching Dr. Terrible's House of Horrible on loan from a friend and it's a hilarious spoof, made especially good if you've got some exposure to 60s and 70s horror

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Ah, Deathwatch was the other one, I knew there was another film of a similar vein but I couldn't remember the title.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Yep, it was Deathwatch i saw. Not a bad movie either. Always fun to run into a movie you never heard of and enjoy it. I remember i had looked into buying it on DVD after i saw it, but it was close to $30 at the time. Never saw it on a store shelf since, and of course i forgot the name not long after. Fun movie that keeps you thinking.

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit
Horror films without the horror "tag" (did that make sense?):

Se7en
Jacob's Ladder
Angel Heart
Dead Ringers
Breakdown
Cat People
Alien
Frailty
The Changeling
Event Horizon

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
The Fog
Burnt Offerings
The Entity.

These movies don't rely on blood but more on mood and eeriness.

Claire Panke

Second Unit
I tend to go or psychological terror and understated horror movies. I have a distinct aversion to gorefests. I'd rather be disturbed than pelted with blood. IMO, the viewer's fertile imagination is one of the best special FX a filmmaker has.

Japanese horror fans should check out Onibaba.

Vampyr (Dreyer)
Faust (Murnau)
Nosferatu
Bride of Frankenstein
The Old Dark House
The Haunting
The Wicker Man
The Innocents
Onibaba (The Witch)
Repulsion
Rosemary's Baby
The Shining
Hour of the Wolf (Vargtimmen)
Cat People (original)
Videodrome
The Wicker Man
The Devil's Backbone
The Haunting (original)
The Day The Earth Caught Fire
Don't Look Now
The Audition

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
one i really enjoyed from a couple years back was Below- basically a ghost story that takes place on a sub during WWII. the dvd has the benefit of having a truly excellant a/v transfer.

i've also been dipping my toes into some vintage Euro horror recently and have really enjoyed Mario Bavas Black Sunday and Castle of Blood.
the latter in particular was a nice surprise, with its themes of doomed lovers and intractable fate.

James T

Screenwriter

Forget the transer, that movie scared the crap out of me. It was one of those movies where you expect something to happen and it doesn't only for something else to happen seconds later.

Ginger Snaps, Session 9 and Dog Soldier are what I like, but it seems people already mentioned it.

DavidBC

Second Unit
Paperhouse - Directed by Bernard Rose four years before Candyman (which is also swell), this is a strange and wonderful horror/fantasy/dark fairy tale. It's spooky and odd and unlike anything else I've ever seen, really. Totally worth the effort it takes to find it.

By the way, does anyone know who owns the DVD rights to this title? Something like Anchor Bay would be wise to pick it up...

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Whenever anyone asks for "good horror" I instinctively say "Session 9" and by other posts in this thread this seems to be a prevalent thing. I daresay Session 9 is one of the best and scariest recent films.

May is also good. But not scary at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks