Good headphone amplifier?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Zane Charron, Nov 29, 2002.

1. Zane Charron

Zane Charron Second Unit

Much to my dismay, the modified Pioneer DV-747A that I bought recently has no headphone jack, so those delicious DVD-A and SACDs do me no good since I don't have a stereo or home theater setup, just a widescreen set. BUT I do have a great set of Sony CD2000 headphones that I've been using a cheap discman to listen to.

Can anyone suggest a good quality headphone amplifier? I've heard and read many good things about Creek Audio's amps. And they are available here in Germany for a reasonable price. Anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks in advance.

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Grado makes one of the best which I used on my latest professional audio recording.
    There is also a headphone shop online (HeadRoom) which makes great solid state amps at various price points:
    www.headphone.com
    I highly recommend these folks as well and have talked with their competent management team at various hifi shows.
    I hope this helps.
    [​IMG]

3. Zane Charron

Zane Charron Second Unit

Wow, that really is a cool site. Thanks for the heads up.

By the way, I wouldn't have a problem running a headphone amp directly from my DVD player via the RCA jacks, would I?
    My headphones are 32 ohms, 106dB/mW sensitivity, 1500mW max. power handling.

4. Javier_Huerta

Javier_Huerta Supporting Actor

Grado is only a good headphone amp if you are using it with Grado headphones.

You might want to take a look at the Antique Audio Labs HammerHead (I think that's the name, should be on HeadRoom). You might also want to try their solid state headphone amps - they are superb. A good hybrid solution is the X-CanV2 by Musical Fidelity.

5. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee