1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Good headphone amplifier?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Zane Charron, Nov 29, 2002.

1. Zane Charron

Zane Charron Second Unit

Much to my dismay, the modified Pioneer DV-747A that I bought recently has no headphone jack, so those delicious DVD-A and SACDs do me no good since I don't have a stereo or home theater setup, just a widescreen set. BUT I do have a great set of Sony CD2000 headphones that I've been using a cheap discman to listen to.

Can anyone suggest a good quality headphone amplifier? I've heard and read many good things about Creek Audio's amps. And they are available here in Germany for a reasonable price. Anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks in advance.

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Grado makes one of the best which I used on my latest professional audio recording.
    There is also a headphone shop online (HeadRoom) which makes great solid state amps at various price points:
    www.headphone.com
    I highly recommend these folks as well and have talked with their competent management team at various hifi shows.
    I hope this helps.
    [​IMG]

3. Zane Charron

Zane Charron Second Unit

Wow, that really is a cool site. Thanks for the heads up.

By the way, I wouldn't have a problem running a headphone amp directly from my DVD player via the RCA jacks, would I?
    My headphones are 32 ohms, 106dB/mW sensitivity, 1500mW max. power handling.

4. Javier_Huerta

Javier_Huerta Supporting Actor

Grado is only a good headphone amp if you are using it with Grado headphones.

You might want to take a look at the Antique Audio Labs HammerHead (I think that's the name, should be on HeadRoom). You might also want to try their solid state headphone amps - they are superb. A good hybrid solution is the X-CanV2 by Musical Fidelity.

5. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee