Good HDTV, bad OTA TV

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Steve Carlo, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Steve Carlo

Steve Carlo Stunt Coordinator

Hi!

We have a so-called HD TV Trek external antenna which is attached to our dish. Once the signal comes in to the house it is split into TV and dish signal. TV signal goes into the VCR, into the TV coax in, gets looped out and into the HDTV input.

Perhaps a simple question but...the OTA signal is at best bloody aweful, but it's our only option currently to be able to record broadcast shows. The HD signal is absolutely brilliant (although this is somewhat weather dependant). So here's the q...why is the OTA broadcast so damned bad with maybe 1-2 sweet channels and the HDef signal near perfect on every chanel? Is there any way to record those HD chanels as SD with the VCR?

As info we have a Mitsu Diamond series high def rear projection TV with built in HD tuner.

Thanks!

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

That's wierd--it's usually the other way around. Maybe because of the antenna design it is better at receiving UHF(where most digital channels reside)than VHF(where most network channels reside). Or maybe there are different locations for the analog and digital transmitters and the directivity of the antenna favors the digital location(it's unlikely, but I'm just throwing some ideas out).

I'd try a new antenna or experiment with placement of the existing one.

As for recording, does the Mits have a way in the menu to downconvert the HD signal to 480i? If so, then it will work. I do that occasionally with my HD decoders to the Replay TV recorder.

DJ

3. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

From what I have heard that Trek antenna is pretty much trash. Also when the cable from the antenna to the receiver is run through splitters or any other break in the cable it looses some signal strength. I would get a better antenna and run a single cable with no breaks to the receiver. Also if all your broadcast stations are in the general same direction you may want to get a Directional antenna. Check out http://www.antennaweb.org for more information on antenna types and where your local stations are located.

4. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Are you sure it's not the standard horrible SD picture on HD sets?

5. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

That is the major reason that I can't justify the purchase of a hd set now. IF that problem could be rectified, then I would be interested.

6. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

Brad, can you expand on the SD on HD problem, please?

7. Ernest Yee

I'll do it since I'm on this page right now.

Essentially, since all HDTV is in progressive format and has more lines of resolution as well, the television has to upconvert the 480 lines of interlaced into progressive + more resolution as well sometimes. So all these additional lines w/o the information there to create the progressive image leads to jaggy/blotchy imaging. So unless you have good HDTV cable in your area, you might just want to wait till the 2006 mandated conversion date for HDTV.

8. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

That 2006 date doesn't mandate HDTV - only the stoppage of analog over-the-air broadcasts and replacement with digital, but the "digital" can be SD doesn't have to be HD. Also it doesn't affect satellite or cable - they can continue to use analog SD if they wish. The key to a digital TV that displays interlaced video well is a good de-interlacer, Sony and Toshiba HDTVs do a pretty good job.

9. Ernest Yee

Wow - I didn't even realize those specifics... Thanks for the correction!

So w/ digital broadcasting, will that essentially just be like sat where you'd get a decent signal w/ picture or none at all?

Although, I'm sure most if not all the big players will have full HDTV implementation by 2006 seeing as how there are already partial HDTV implementation by the major broadcast networks.

10. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Steve,

I'm not familiar with how the Mits TV's with digital tuners built in hook-up, so are you referring to the SD picture tuned by the digital tuner or the analog tuner in the TV? You might try experimenting with it both ways if you are only getting OTA from the digital one.

Another thing you might try if it's not due to antenna reception, is turning the noise reduction on within the TV, turning the sharpness down to around 30% or so, and experimenting with different Scan Velocity Modulation settings(Mits does 0-3).

I have an older Mits diamond set and while the SD picture on digital channels are hit and miss as tuned through my Samsung OTA box(Fox and NBC are mostly horrible, but ABC and CBS are generally better than their analog counterparts), they are consistently decent(not horrible), from the analog inputs. Your set even has a better deinterlacer than mine, as well.

DJ

11. Bry_DD

Bry_DD Second Unit

I think the problem you're having is your antenna. I had the same problem before until i got tired of messing with it so I left the anolog out and stay with the digital instead. cuz most of my local chanel here in phoenix transmit digital anyway..