Good games for the Gamecube?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Zos, May 22, 2002.

1. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

The fact that the Gamecube has dropped to $150 makes it more tempting for me to own one. (I may someday join the rest of you spoiled bastards who own all three systems).

Of the three consoles, I actually like the Gamecube controller best (I found the James Bond game to control a lot easier on the Gamecube than I did on the Xbox, for instance.) But, apart from the new Resident Evil game, which I REALLY want to play, I'm not sure that there are that many games for the system that would appeal to me personally. No offense to you Gamecube owners, but my take on the system is that Nintendo has pitched it to more of a younger audience, and the software reflects that. I'm not really into Mario style games, I come from more of a PC background (though I've had a lot of fun with Nintendo consoles in the past).

So, other than Resident Evil, what games are out or are coming out that are pitched to an older audience? I might eventually buy the system just so I can play that ONE game, but I'd feel a lot better if I had a few more options ...

2. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

here are some good games (and games that are coming out):
    -Super Monkey Ball
    -Super Smash Brothers Melee
    -The next 6(!) Resident Evil games (4 are remakes)
    -Super Mario Sunshine
    -Zelda
    -Metroid Prime
    -The Perfect Dark series
    -Star Fox Adventures
    -Sega's Sonic the Hedgehog series
    -Wave Race: Blue Storm
    -Star Wars Rogue Leader
    -Wrestlemania X8
    [​IMG] (just off the top of my head!)

3. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader is alone, worth getting the system for. The game is incredible and it will keep you busy for at least 30 hours. Highly recommended.

4. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

Thanks for the suggestions guys! As a big FPS fan who loved Goldeneye, I'm definitely interested in Perfect Dark. The Star Wars title does look nice too, though I only got to demo it a tiny little 13 inch monitor at Kmart ...
    I think the Gamecube is probably going to be in my future (now if they could just drop the PS2 down a little more ...)

5. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Trust me, the moment you're doing the trench run, dodging gun turrets and obstructions as fast as you can, and Darth Vader's voice suddenly appears - "The Force is strong in this one" - you'll know it was worth buying.

Mind you, I fell in love with the game the moment I was placed in my X-Wing cockpit to the sound of "Red 5 standing by". No true Star Wars geek should be without it.

Elsewhere, Super Monkey Ball was the game I bought the console for, and that was well worth it. Pure unadulterated fun from the moment you pick up the controller, and great with friends (most of the party games don't even need multiple controllers, which is handy).

6. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

Ah, well, I missed the old younger-style games so I went back [​IMG]. Besides, I still think that the Cube, while still majoring in the youthful games, is no longer the narrow view that the N64 was (but then, I really really didn't like the N64, so I'm biased).
    Anyhow, beyond the numerous Resident Evils coming out, which should all be excellent (especially the brand new Resident Evil 0 which will destroy my GPA if I'm not careful [​IMG]), there are a few other games as well.
    Rob got most of the ones I'm familiar with, but he left out Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem as well. An extremely long (they say 40-60 hours of playtime, though I'll believe that when I see it...) psychological horror thriller, exclusive to the Cube.
    Early reports say it's supposedly quite good, though again it's from a new company, so I'll have to see the finished product to be sure, but I'm very, very hopeful. You play as 10+ characters throughout history trying to fight an ancient evil throughout time.
    It has a strange sanity system, a magic system, and great attention to detail. And if you haven't guessed, I'm excited as all hell for it to come out at the end of June [​IMG]

7. Craig A

Craig A Stunt Coordinator

I've never played a Zelda game before in my life, but the new Zelda coming out for the cube looks friggin' incredible!

8. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

9. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

... see 2 posts down...

10. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Got an announcement of that, Rob? Cause the plan as it was originally announced was for RE1 to be the only one "redone" to the level it was, with the rest being 'straight' ports. If that's changed, that's big news!

11. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Brian... I must have been mistaken and saw info for Resident Evil 0. But I could have swore that they were redoing the other ones too! Well, I gotta go play some more RE1 [​IMG]