What's new

Good Fellas (1 Viewer)

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Still a flipper, but will be released as a Martin Scorsese Collection Special Edition in 2003.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
From what I know, the long promised SE of Goodfellas will not be a flipper (no reason why it would be). The current disc is still the same disc that has been available for years.
Bruce

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Avoid the laserdisc-on-a-DVD and wait for the 2-disc SE. It'll feature a high-def originated transfer (which ought to look beautiful) and plenty of supplements.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I can't wait to get my hands on Warner's "Scorsese Special Editions Collection".
In the meantime, we have The King Of Comedy to look forward to! :)
Gordy

I was gonna start a thread asking this question but I noticed this thread so I'll recycle...
I just got GoodFella's as a gift, and I was glad to see that it said "Enhanced for widescreen TV's" on the back. But low and behold, when I put the disk in and set my TV for squeeze mode, the picture was squished which tells me that it's not anamorphic.
I imagine that this is a known defect/mis-print right?
Also, the transfer is awful. Lot's of color fluctuations and just generally a bad picture.
This is one useless disk, and now it looks like I'll have to buy it all over again once the SE is released. (my wife bought me this one so I still payed for it even though it was a gift :frowning: ).

Haden

Supporting Actor
What else will be released in this new Scorcese Collection special editions line? Gangs of New York is probably a sure thing. Taxi Driver already has a nice special edition on DVD.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Since the Scorsese Collection will be released by Warner, Gangs of New York be won't be included, right?

Chris Clark

Agent
Bill, until a confirmed list of all the films in the collection appears, it could go in either direction.
If the collection is anything like the great Oliver Stone box, it will be a collaboration between warner brothers and a few other studios. WB managed to get Universal (Wall Street, Talk Radio), Columbia (U-Turn), and Touchstone (Nixon) to contribute to the set, with only MGM holding out.
Seeing how deep in the budgetary hole Miramax is with Gangs, I can't see them letting WB add it to the collection.
Here's to hoping that GoNY does make it in.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
It looks like my Scorsese collection will be expanded very much so this year. Should I buy Mean Streets or wait till a better version comes out ?

cheers

Craig

Second Unit

No, it's not anamorphic, it's mislabeled. FYI, 'THE COLOR OF MONEY' has the same problem, says it's enhanced but it's not.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
So, what is the rumored timeline for Goodfellas: SE this year? I hope I don't have to wait the entire year. I sold my original version months ago in anticipation and have been dying to watch this, but I am going to force myself to wait for the new one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks