What's new

Good exercise routine or diet? (1 Viewer)

ToddJ

Second Unit
I am trying to lose a little weight, specifically in the "beer gut" and love handles areas. Any suggestions on types of different crunches I can do since the basic ones don't really seem to do any good.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
From what I understand exercises focused on one problem area will not do it. Essentially it will just strengthen the muscles underneath the fat. There are more qualified people here who I'm sure will chime in with more detailed info.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Believe it or not, a total body exercise (yes working your legs and arms) can be a good gut trimmer.

I exercise certain muscle groups for two days straight, then I run cardio the third day.

Diet is important as well. Cut out all fried foods and anything with a high percentage of fat. My diet mainly consist of protein shakes, cans of tuna, fruits, fruit juices, and cottage cheese.

I was addicted to fried chicken and once I cut that out of my diet, I lost an amazing amount of weight. Oh yeah, cut out pop as well.

And even then, it's how well you stick to a healthy routine that determines if the love handles go away.

ToddJ

Second Unit
it seems that my metabolism might be slowing down....i think it is because of a new prescription that I am on.....is there any natural ways to speed it up?

PhillJones

Second Unit

I'm glad I don't share an office with you! ;)

Seriously though, Diet and excercise isn't an either or proposition and treating either like a quick fix won't work either.

The standard nutritional advice which works very well and has been given by doctors for many years is that you should get 60% of your calories from carbohydrate, about 20 % from protein and 20% from fat. From there it's just choosing complex carbs and unsaturated fats as much as you can, or at least most of the time.

Of course there are a couple of caveats. First, fat has twice as many calories per gram as the other two so you need less fat than the number of calories suggests. Second, people often get the idea of avoiding simple and processed carbs with that of avoiding carbohydrate altogether ala Dr Atkins. Things like Brocolli and carrots are high in carbohydrate, as is fruit and there is nothing wrong with whole grain breads and cereals, although many of the breads sold in the states are loaded with sugar, so read the label.

I avoid all 'diet' foods. They often take good fats out and replace it with high fructose corn syrop (low fat salad dressing) or take the sugar out and replace it with saturated fat (low carb ice-cream).

A good site on excercise is

www.exrx.net

My personal oppinion on excercise is it's better to do saomething you want to do, like a sport or something than to force yourself to do something that's good for you. In my experience, and of course this is anecdotal. People who force themselves to the gym because it's good for them tend to fare less well than those who go because they enjoy what they're doing. If that happens to be weight-lifting or spinning then good for you but if you would prefer to take up racket-ball or kick boxing, then seek it out and get learning a new skill. I do Tae kwon do and when I wasn't in a school for a time, I never went to the gym. Now I go a lot in order to improove my TKD. Going to the gym for it's own sake didn't cut it for me.

HTH
Phill

AaronMg

Stunt Coordinator
You might want to try doing cardio at least 3 days a week. If you're not fond of running try swimming, biking, or speed walking.

Colton

Supporting Actor
Whatever you do - don't skip meals. I just found out that my skipping breakfast routine has raised some red flags on my current blood test when it came back with low-calcium. Skipping breakfast is a big no-no!

- Colton

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
My advice is do a basic all-body routine as described earlier to work all the major muscle groups to get some basic strength in your limbs. The muscles will help raise your metabolism and chew away at those calories, even when you're sleeping.

And no junk food, drink only water! You only have one body, take good care of it. :)

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Good write-up, Phill, what you said is correct. People do make mistakes like thinking all carbs are bad and that non-fat ice-cream isn't fattening. Non-fat many times is same as high-sugar and no-sugar/high-fat. Especially with yoghurt you need to pay attention, some are decent but these "breakfast replacement drinks" that are advertised as healthy are one of the worst.

Start the day with high fiber breakfast (oatmeal, high fiber & low sugar cereal etc.). If you don't already that alone will help you a lot.

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
Phil has some excellent advice, Todd.

True, there is no such thing as spot reducing to get rid of your dunlap. (Where your stomache has 'dun lapped over your belt;) ) And I wholeheartedly second Phil on the "do something you want". I would continue that to the diet aspect and phrase it as do something you can live with. Dieting has got to be the most bastardized term in the English language and most people take it as, "I'm going to make this change to get to a number on a scale or into a certain size of clothing." Once they reach that goal then a large percentage of the time the "diet" goes to hell.

IMHO, the most healthy way to approach it is small changes. Take the ship's course point of view. Changing course one degree doesn't seem like much, but 1000 miles out to sea you're in a completely different destination.

I, personally, feel that exercise is at least slightly more important for overall health, but it is certainly inseperable from diet. Look for ways to increase your activity. Cutting out some TV time...working in the yard...taking the dogs for a long walk (that one is excellent for both of you)...taking the stairs at every opportunity. And if truly working out is something you can get into, excellent, but start slowly. If you were a jock in high school, don't try to hit the same intensity and quantity. Not that you can't get back there, but you didn't get there in a day the first time around either. Be honest with yourself. Again, long term changes need to be founded in the knowledge that they are something you can live with. Balance in all things.

Dietwise, make healthier choices, but don't deprive yourself. You have to eat to burn fat. Any dietician will corroborate that. Drastically cutting back your food intake sends your body into starvation mode. It senses that the food supply is shrinking and it tries to hang on to everything it can, so don't do anything extreme. Changing from 3 big meals to 5 or 6 small meals a day is the best thing you can do for your metabolism. It helps to normalize your blood sugar so you don't crash as easily. It fires up your digestive system because there's always a little something for it to work on. Always include some protein with your meals. A bagel by itself for breakfast isn't so hot...but make it a half bagel with some lean ham and it's a much better combo. Adding the protein makes the food absorb more slowly into your system. It makes for a more steady flow of sugar into your blood and it stays in your digestive system longer making your hunger stay in it's place longer. And it's difficult (but not impossible) to drink too much water.

If some portion of your gut truly came from beer cut back...don't cut out. Drink one really good beer that you'll enjoy instead of forcing yourself to choke down 3 or 4 light beers just because they're light. If Micky D's is typically on your menu 3 or 4 times a week, make it only once. Although, it would be a great idea to rent and watch "Supersize Me". That will definitely change your attitude in the fast food department. Try to cook and eat whole foods as often as you can. Processed, pre-packaged foods are packed with salt and much worse. Some people can live just fine on cottage cheese, tuna, salad, etc. The body is a temple...yes, but it's also inseperable from the mind and our emotions. A little sheer pleasure is good for us from time to time. Some people feel that delaying gratifacation is it's own reward. If they can live like that, more power to them. For myself, I need a little payoff once in a while. If I've been eating and exercising really well, there's nothing wrong with a trip to Outback once in a while. No single meal can destroy your plan as long as you're on course 99% of the time. Constant deprivation leads to lashbacks. Better to eat a couple of pieces of really good Belgian chocolate once in a while than to stuff your face with Hershey bars just because they're at the checkout counter.

Be reasonable with your goals. Making small changes isn't going to get you into Speedo's in time for this summer, but keep it all up and next summer....look out.

James Spraggs

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I have lost 50 lbs since December, and done it by dieting. The only exercise I get is taking the steps at work everyday instead of the elevator. I also park farther from the door when I go shopping, just to add a little extra distance. I completely elimnated soda, and all sweets. I eat three meals a day. For breakfast it is usually raisan bran and no-fat milk. For dinner, a sensible meal, and for supper, which i eat at work, I have a low fat dinner that you find in the frozen section.

Now that the weather is getting nicer here, I plan to start riding my bike, or walking to work off some more weight. I hope to lose another 20 to 30 lbs by the end of summer, and then I will be where I want to b weight wise.

Good Luck, and keep us updated on your progess.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Paul, have you read "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" by an chance? Your writeup could almost be the jacket description for that program.

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
Nope Joe...haven't seen it, but thanks. I'm just a fitness enthusiast who's had someone close to me battling the lbs. for many years, though sometimes the real battle is in our heads. It's all information that trainers and dieticians have been espousing for years. The problem is that they can't compete with...

1. The lure and promise of a quick fix.

2. The big money behind fad diets that promise #1.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I've always heard to consume protein after a lifting weights, but is there anything you're supposed to eat before working out?

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
After I get home I eat a couple of eggs, wait 2 hours, then work out. Come home and eat some more protein, usually chicken, turkey sammich, healthy TV dinner, etc..

Before I did this I used to get real tired during a work out so I stick to this routine. I hear loading up on carbs pre-work out is a good idea but that alone wasn't enough for me.

Ideally I'd like to make one of those whey protein shakes to scarf down after a work out, but I hear they taste nasty.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"it seems that my metabolism might be slowing down....i think it is because of a new prescription that I am on.....is there any natural ways to speed it up?"

Eat more, smaller meals during the day.

Also remember that the gut an dhandles will be the last place your loose from, so your in it for the long haul.

1.Exercise and include weight training.
2.Eat more frequent but smaller meals during the day. Portions should be able to fit in your palm.
3.Watch ur carbs and fat intake. No sugar if possible.
4.Lots of water

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
They aren't that bad. Try different ones, some of them are quite good mixed with skim milk. Pre-workout drink something with lots of complex carbs. If your workout is late at night, post-workout drink a shake with little to no carbs.

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
Absolutely...Our bodies always need to have a balance of carbs and protein. You'll get a more sustained burn if you add some whole wheat toast to those eggs.

The shakes can certainly range in taste, but never for a second let yourself believe that you're going to be getting the equivelant of an ice cream shake. Same with the protein bars. If it's truly good for you then it's not going to taste like a Snickers. Detour bars are the best tasting ones I've found, but they have a lot of sugar as well as hydrogenated oils. You'd might as well eat a real Snickers and chase it down with a hard boiled egg for the protein. (kidding, of course)

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter

Same with Promax bars, they taste good (the peanut caramel bar is actually better than Snickers IMO as it's not as sweet) but they are loaded with sugar. EAS bars taste pretty good, not as good as the Promax, but they have complex carbs instead of the sugar.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks