good entry level reciver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Albert Noel, Oct 17, 2002.

1. Albert Noel

Albert Noel Stunt Coordinator

what would you guys consider to be a nice entry level reciver?

something that does dolby digital, DTS and the usual pro-logic? it doesn't have to do the fancier, EX and ES formats and it doesn't really need to have too many bells and whistles in general, just a couple of digital inputs (optical/toslink and coax)would be nice. (5x100watts would be nice as well.)

what are your suggestions? i am going to replace my current crappy reciver within a month or so from now, and i want somehting to tide me over till i can save the cash for a nice Denon.

i'm in canada, so canadian prices are nice as well as US prices when suggesting somehting.

Albert

2. Dereck Graefer

I have a Denon 1602, which I got for $400 canadian. It has everything you want except for the power rating, 70 x 5, opposed to 100 x 5. I didn't shop around too hard for a better price, so you may be able to get a better deal than I did. Dealers are most likely trying to sell off old 1602 stock to make way for the 1603. If you can live with a 70 x 5 rating, and have a small budget, I would say get a 1602. Its a nice little unit. As for anything from other brands, I can't help you since I only have experience with this one.

3. Michael Roderiques

Michael Roderiques Stunt Coordinator

You might want to check this place out.

THey have some reasonable prices on some factory refurbished gear.

They have NAD T-761's for USD$569.00
    Say they sell to Canada.

The NAD is a great unit. Sounds like just what your looking for. and it sounds great too.

4. Albert Noel

that doesn't sound so bad at all.

little more than i wanted to pay, BUT, i suppose it's not so bad. i would imagine i would be better off since it will last me longer, give me more time to get the higher-end unit i want.

5. Albert Noel

oh, i almost forgot
    do you have a link for "this place"? [​IMG]

6. Albert Noel

just a thought, how about the Kenwood VR3090?
    it looks very nice cosmetically and seems to have all the features i'm after.

7. Michael Roderiques

Michael Roderiques Stunt Coordinator

8. Albert Noel

man, thats a nice looking unit.
    i love that sort of look.. the very plain "rack mounted" gear look

cool, thanks for the link.
    i'm going to definitly look into that one when the time comes

9. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

i just purchased a pioneer vsx-d180s for 360 tax in here in st johns. I don't have it hooked up but i will be tongiht and well let you know what its like. i have a nikko alpha 220 thats going on it next week for the fronts....should be pretty good. now if only i can find a sawm 40 for cheap!

10. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    Check out the Pioneer VSX-811S. It has:

Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES, Dolby Pro Logic II
    DTS Neo:6 modes
    100 watts x 6 in surround mode
    6-channel stereo
    7.1-channel preamp input
    6.1-channel preamp out
    digital inputs: 3 optical (1 front-panel), 2 coaxial
    component video switching (2 in, 1 out, 28MHz bandwidth)
    96kHz/24-bit DACs
    optical digital output
    3 audio and 4 A/V inputs (including 4 S-video and 1 front-panel)

Pretty nice unit and can be had for around $350 shipped.
    Chris S.

11. Albert Noel

that sounds like a nice one.
    like, a perminant peice (well, how often is anything perminent in this hobby? lol)

i'm going to go and demo that unit.
    sells for $599 canadian if i'm not mistaken

12. Jeff_Fitz

Jeff_Fitz Stunt Coordinator

The Pioneer 811S has an MSRP of $599 Canadian. You should be able to do better.
    The gentleman from SK that bought the Denon AVR-1602 got a smokin' deal if that was a new unit. The MSRP on those was $770 CDN. It has been replaced by the AVR-1603 which adds component video switching, a much better remote and a few other goodies. The MSRP on that unit is actually lower at $725 Canadian. One dealer here in Halifax said he would sell it to me for $595.
    Since you are in Ottawa, I would suggest you go see Marc at Audioshop. He carries Yamaha and Harman Kardon. Marc provides fantastic customer service over the internet, and I suspect the in-person service would be better.
    If you are looking for more ideas on entry level receivers, check out the buyer's guides at http://hometheater.valuecanuck.com.
    Hope that helps,
    Jeff

13. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Don't forget to at least check out the Outlaws....I own their 1050 receiver and I love it to death. I replaced a Denon 1601 with it. I ran them head to head and the Outlaw was notably superior. I think you can pick one up new for $499. Don't quote me, but one of the more respected audio mags rated this receiver the overall best value in home theater. May not be for you, but if you have the time, swing by outlawaudio.com

14. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

The Pioneer 811-S, as stated, can be had for much less new than the 599.00 sticker.. But if it were me, (and it's not) the NAD is few more dollars but a much better receiver.

I would definitly give that a look listen if it's in your price point.

If your looking strickly **(for just something to tie you over while you save)**,,, the Kenwoods, Pioneer~811S and Panasonics are all worth looking into. Yes, Panasonic!

Allot for a little.
    All 3 brands have models that do what you want and more for around the 300.00 or LESS (USA) price point.

The NAD is stepping up in quailty and sound IMO.

Have fun
    Geoff

15. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

i plugged in the pioneer last night, it took me a half hour to get sound out of it. it's the first receiver that i had to read the manual to get sound. now, i never had a chance to tweak it, but as it stands now, it sound awsome. much better than both the sony and kenwood I had. im totally impressed. the only thing im missing now is bottom end, and that is going to be fixed with the sony sub with mods! and of course, my nikko!....

16. Jeff_Fitz

Jeff_Fitz Stunt Coordinator

Steve:

You said you got a "vsx-d180s". Should we assume that is actually a VSX-D810S?

Was that a used unit or a new "left-over"?

What prices are you seeing on "The Rock" for the 811S?

Jeff

17. Albert Noel

i think i'm pretty well set on the pioneer 811S
    i demo's it this morning at a local mom & pop kinda pace and i was impressed.

it's on the top of the list for my purchase next month

18. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    Geoff,
    Which NAD model are you referring too?

Chris S.

19. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Hi Chris

Speaking to the NAD-T761, refurb at 599.00, list 1000.00 but nobody pay list most of the time. I belive it to be a very nice receiver and a good step up in all round quailty from the Pioneers mentioned.

~{But I also stated that as long as it was in his price point}~!

If I was tight on cash a wanted to save for a much higher end receiver I would look to the 811S, and the New Panasonics. Solid entry units with most or all formates avaiable at this time,,, and very afforable. The refured NAD is going to run you 300.00 more and that could be used toward the savings for the much higher end unit.

A link is provided by Mike above to ~{Spearit Sounds & the NAD}~ in another post. Assuming full warrenty coverage and authorized sale!!!!

This was because the STARTER of the thread said ~{that ES EX}~ was not important or a deal breaker and good power and the ~{basics}~ was what he was looking for to tie him over in the intrim.

The NAD was mentioned, and this is just my 2-cents worth....

Geoff

20. Patrick TX

Patrick TX Stunt Coordinator