What's new

Good Eats - Food network (1 Viewer)

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Any one ever watch the show called Good Eats? It's on the food network channel on wednesdays and thursday nights. The guy that hosts the show, Alton Brown, is absolutely hilarious. Plus, he gives a lot of insight into why things work the way they do, like going into the chemistry of cooking. He gets technical about things at times but then does some bizarre translation that's kind of like an acid flashback. I've also tried one of his recipes and it worked out great.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I like the show a lot but sometimes I just want to slap him and say "ENOUGH WITH THE SCIENCE ALREADY! JUST GET ON WITH THE RECIPE!". Sometimes I forget what he's making when he goes off on a scientific or historical tangent. I've got to admit it is entertaining, though.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I love this show, and a large part of it is because of the science - he approaches cooking like a geek!

Jack Fanning

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Fanning
Count me in as a fan of this show....Alton used to get on my nerves, but I've gotten accustomed to his quirkiness.

I've learned alot watching that show.

Dan Mc

Stunt Coordinator
Yes...my favorite food-related show. You can tell he was a big MacGyver fan.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Alton Brown is a God. Any guy that can smoke a salmon using a cardboard box, 2 dowels and a hotplate has my vote. Made his homemade ice cream recipe last week and it is the best I've ever tasted.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Yep, the science and the use of multitasking tools is what makes the show great and stand out from the rest. There are a bunch of other recipe type cooking shows. If that's what you want then watch those.

Alton makes cooking fun and interesting. Who knew my workbench has some cooking utensils in it? ;)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Yep, welder's gloves. Best potholders/grilling gloves known to man. Needle nose pliers are the best thing to pull pin bones from a fish fillet (I could go on and on).

Tom McA

Stunt Coordinator
Good Eats is on perma-record on my DVR. I've tried several of his recipes, and so far, they're all winners. Especially the brined Thanksgiving bird.
Best. Turkey. Ever.

Also met AB at a book signing. Glad to report he's a genuinely nice guy.

Too bad the FoodNet DVD's are so effin' expensive. I'd like to see the bonus features on them, but not at their prices.

And a friend of mine did NOT burn homemade DVD's for himself and me with several seasons' worth of episodes, complete with animated menus. Because that would be wrong.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I watch it because Alton Brown is a hoot and I actually like the chemistry and history. The funniest part was his example of the worst macaroni and cheese. It was exactly how my mother taught me to cook it.

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
Love Good Eats!!!!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Mr. Wizard in the kitchen.

If anybody watched "The Next Food Network Star" series a few weeks ago, they mentioned that AB got his gig sending in a completely unsolicited tape. The execs saw it and decided that he had to have his own show. I'd love to see that.

I'm enjoying AB on Iron Chef America too. He manages to weave his quirkyness in beautifully.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Count me in as a long time tivoer. I just love the show and have tried several of his recipes with great success. I'll second the turkey comment above.FYI: As long as your friend didn't sell you the DVD that falls under "fair use" and is perfectly legal.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve

I do.
I never said that I didn't like AB's show. I only said that he SOMETIMES gets on my nerves. I've seen every episode as far as I know. That either means I like it or I'm a glutton for punishment.:D

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

Amen! All hail the cooking god, Alton Brown! I've been a huge fan ever since I discovered his Brined Turkey recipe while searching for new things for the big day about 4 years ago.

As much as I love AB, I get a kick out of his supporting players like W (what ever happened to W?), Marsha, Chuck, Mad French Chef, Deb, Shirley and little Elton.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Unless your cable is different than mine, they show "Good Eats" Monday through Friday at 6:00 (CDT) as well as the late versions. In the last few months, I've gotten all but 20 episodes recorded. They were also showing 4 episodes over the weekend for a while but not now. Forced to do my own cooking I can use all the help I can get.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks