Good DVDs Gone Bad!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ian_H, Sep 25, 2001.

1. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

So are there instances of DVDs that play fine one month then later don't play at all? I went to play Kentucky Fried Movie tonight and both my DVD players (please don't laugh one is a Panasonic A-100 and the other is an APEX AD-600A) couldn't read the disc. I watched the disc when I bought several months ago and it played just fine. When I inspect the disc you can see a discolored area around the center. I have seen this before on other dual layer discs but this is a little different in that it has a bit of blue around the discolored area (same blue that is used on the front of the disc for the graphics). Has anyone else had a problem like this?
    --Ian

2. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus Supporting Actor

Roger Mathus
    Latest case is the OPERA dvd from Anchor Bay. When I get home, I will check out my copy of Kentucky Fried Movie.
    Such cases on a broad basis have actually been rare. Most have been with early RSDL discs from Warner.

3. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson

4. James_A

James_A Stunt Coordinator

Wow.... I just had the same problem with the same movie... my copy of KFM will only play the Fullscreen version, instead of the Widescreen, in my Apex 600, my Panasonic (don't remember the model, but it's like a 21 or so), and my DVD-Rom.
    Pissed me off... but as long as I can see "Catholic School Girls in Trouble" I'm okay
    Jim
    ------------------
    [email protected]
    Want to hold up a bank in Latin?
    "Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam."
    (I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.)

5. Jeff Krispow

Jeff Krispow Stunt Coordinator

Hmm... I just took a look at my copy of "KFM" and the letterboxed version plays perfectly on my Pioneer 606-D (the full-frame version is fine as well).
    Don't know what to tell you... maybe you should contact Anchor Bay for a replacement.
    Jeff
    ------------------
    Jeff Krispow
    Former Reviewer
    http://www.laserrot.com
    [email protected]

6. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

I have another copy at work and I checked it out and the disc looks good. I just hope I don't get any more surprises with any other discs. They don't stay in print forever. With over 400+ discs it is possible I won't watch a certain disc for a few years. Lucky for me I was in the mood for some "Feel-a-Round" and "Catholic High School Girls in Trouble" or I might not have found out my disc went bad.
    --Ian

7. Russ Felton

Russ Felton Stunt Coordinator

I just watched this movie last week and it played fine on my Pioneer 333. Maybe you just got a bum disc.