Good DVD recorder

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Gunny, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Gunny

Gunny Auditioning

Hi gang

Brand new to this forum, looks like a great learning tool. I am in the process of looking for a good DVD recorder. I am with DirecTV satellite, and have their Sony T60 Tivo unit. All I mostly want to do is dump some of my movies and programs, that I have recorded, from the Tivo unit to a DVD disk. I have a good Sony DVD player already.

What I am looking for is some feedback on what are some good units, that will do this, and with a wide price range. I don't need the very best, but I would like one that will do the job and do it right. I believe talking to people that actually use these items is the best source there is to make a smart decision. As you might tell I do like Sony, but I am open to other brands too.

So I would appreciate you opinions here, good or bad.

Thanks and take care.......Gunny

2. John Whittle

John Whittle Stunt Coordinator

Whatever you do, check what your current DVD player will use. I've found that some will play DVD-R and not +R and others will play +R and not -R. Don't put your trust in websites, you need to check physical media yourself. Also stand alone recorders may not make chapter breaks that a compatible with computer editing if you decide to do that later.

The bigger problem will be what you do in the future if you buy somehting that does -R/RW and later get a player that only sees +R.

You can convert disks from +R to -R by using a copy program like Nero in a computer where the image is reformated for the other type, but all this takes time.

After you get that sorted out, then you need to decide if you need a recorder with a hard disk or not (really limiting your choices now to format and basic features).

Your best bet is probably getting a Tivo with a DVD recorder and then buying a player that will see the discs if your player doesn't. Even copying discs at 4x or 8x takes time to read and burn and check. You can get pretty tired of the content by the time you're done.

John

3. Gunny

Gunny Auditioning

Hi John

Thanks for the information. You are right my DVD player will only do the CD-R and DVD-R. Good point you made. It is a good player and gets normal use. When I burn movies I always do them on a DVD-R disk. And most of the recorders I have looked at do their thing using mostly -R. I have thought of what you mentioned about getting a different Tivo machine, but this one I have has the dual tuner, and I really like that. Do you happen to know if they make these newer Tivo recorders with dual tuners?

Good point too about getting one with a HD, that way you can store it and decide if you really want to run it off to the disk. I appreciate your information and if you happen to think of anything else I would appreciate it if you would pass it on to me.

Take care...........Gunny

4. John Whittle

John Whittle Stunt Coordinator

Sorry, really haven't kept up with Tivo. Really find my "old" S-Vhs machine fine for the occasional time shifting I do.

One point to consider is a DVD recorder that does +RW is supposed to be editable on a computer (by changing adding chapters, menus, etc) and updating the original recording without having to do any ecoding and burning.

That's the theory and those as the specs. Getting it to work is another matter and again comes down to hardware. And possibly firmware updates--I'm still experimenting with my system.

John

5. Gunny

Gunny Auditioning

Hi John

Boy I thought I was behind times, you have me beat. How do you exist with out Tivo....[​IMG] I use to have 4 or 5 VHS machines going to capture all the programs I wanted to record, now I have the one Tivo machine. It has made my life so much simpler. I am going to check into Directv or some place to find out the answer to the dual tuner question. I don't see them advertising the dual tuners any more. I have mine now about 2 years and it works great.

Well I thank you for your time and information.

Take care............Gunny

6. Ian

Ian Agent

The DirecTV TiVos and HD-DVRs have dual tuners.

I have the Sony HX900 DVD Recorder and the quality of the recordings from my Sony T60 D-TiVos is excellent. I would not recommend a DVD/TiVo combo player because you will lose all of the cool features on your SAT-60.

7. Gunny

Gunny Auditioning

Hi Ian

Thanks for the information, sounds like a great machine. I looked it up on Ebay and they are going for between $500 and $600 for a new one. Big hard drive on it too. How long have you had yours?

8. Ian

Ian Agent

Hi Gunny,

You are welcome. Try Oades Brothers. They will price match.

I have had mine for a few weeks and I love it. Depending on what you need, you may want to compare the Sony to the Panasonic, Pioneer, Toshiba and the other DVD recorders. Each recorder has its strengths and weaknesses.

I have tried all of the recording speeds on the HX900. I noticed a softer image when using LP, EP and SLP, however, there are no artifacts and the image looks pretty good. There may be three factors for this: (1) older TV, (2) video source (DirecTV) and (3) Hard Drive set in HQ (High Quality) mode.

I have not used the DVD because I have two great DVD players plus DVD Drives on my computers.

Please feel free to ask any questions about the HX900. I will do my best to answer.

Ian

9. Gunny

Gunny Auditioning

Hi Ian

The thing I was most wondering about is do you really need a big hard drive in your recorder, since your Tivo has one. So would it be better to get a real good recorder with out the HD? The Tivo I have is the 40 hour Mod. Just as long as the recorder would let you transfer from your Tivo unit.

I can see some slight advantages for the HD, but if all you are wanting to do is transfer, not store any stuff, would this be really nec. I have a couple of PPV movies on my Tivo right now that I would like to transfer to a DVD disk.

This Oades bros, what is the address of their site?

10. Ian

Ian Agent

Hi Gunny,

I think the hard drive adds flexibility. You can record to HDD or DVD. It is easier if you already have the HDD when you need it than try to add it later.

I have two TiVos and I sometimes run out of space because I regularly use the “save until I delete” option. In addition, finding time to watch my recorded programs can be a challenge. Having the extra hard drive for storage works very well for me especially when I have one or many season passes I need to watch or recordings of cancelled shows I have been saving for a long, long time (i.e. Karen Sisco, Boomtown, Keen Eddie) to transfer.

The Oade Brothers’ website is http://www.oade.com.

11. Gunny

Gunny Auditioning

Hi Ian

I see your point. I am in a little different situation then you in my use of the Tivo. I record a lot of programs I am interested in seeing but I don't leave them on my hard drive very long before I delete them or watch them. I do this to make sure I don't run out of room, so when I want to record something it wont for lack of space to do it.

So what I would use the DVD recorder for mainly would be to transfer movies from PPV to a disk. Not all of them but ones I think are worth while, and ones that I would like to see later down the road. My wife and I like to watch a lot of the older black and whites. I have a nice collection of movies now, and am trying to start a collection of Oscar winning movies.

Take care............Gunny

12. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

We've had one of the DirecTV Phillips TiVO's (70 hr-/+) model for over a year now and it's truly one of the best things we've ever purchased that was "un-necessary." Ironically I was against it until I played with one.

Best of all one is able to record long programs and/or lots of them with no loss in quality unlike analog VHS machines and even DVD recorders.

When something does come along that I want to keep I can burn it onto a DVD, and depending upon how compressed DirecTV's signal for that channel is, I can store it on a DVD-R at HQ mode with little degredation.

Even SP mode is superior to VHS SP mode.