What's new

Good DVD movie for Faroudja DCDi Demonstration (1 Viewer)

StevePrince

Auditioning
Could someone please recommend a DVD movie or two (not a test pattern) that will CLEARLY demonstrate the superiority of a Panasonic DVD-XP30 (Faroudja) over a Panasonic DVD-S55S (non Faroudja)?

They will be compared on a Mitsubishi PD-5030 (50") plasma HDTV.

Thanks!!!
Steve.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
You should realise that DCDi processing is for VIDEO-based material only. Faroudja does a great - superior, even - job at deinterlacing film based material, but detecting the difference between a Faroudja and other chip with film-based video is going to be a bit like finding a needle in a haystack. You have to know what scenes on what dics have bad edits, and then you have to see them yourself before you can hope to show them to others.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah, the thing about Faroudja is that it gives superior video deinterlacing... With film, most non-faroudja chips will work as well as Faroudja...

Im not sure if its still available, but i ordered a Kenwood Demo Disc here:
http://www.lucidfusion.com/kenwood/formmail.htm

Which has a few Faroudja demos... One of my favs is the one with the american flag flying. On a non-faroudja deinterlacer, the stripes and the edge of the flag will have lots of jaggies, but with Faroudja, the stripes are smooth.

StevePrince

Auditioning
So, for a film-based DVD, should I show my kid's Sesame Street video, or maybe a TV series (like The Sopranos) on DVD????

I mainly watch film-based DVD's (Hollywood movies, right?), so my Faroudja DVD player was perhaps a waste...

Comments?
Steve.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I know from experience that there are lots of 'bad' edits in the Sex In The City DVDs. On my Panasonic player, there are plenty of visible glitches during scene cuts. On a Faroudja-based player, they would likely not be visible at all (although I can't say for sure). For major releases though, I've notice but one very quick glitch in the entire year that I've had the F85.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Use TV series on DVD (video mode) for comparisons. Also the video sequence on the Video Essentials DVD with flags waving is the absolute best test for Faroudja! Only DCDi can get rid of the jaggies on the waving flag video sequence.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I have a copy of Red Violin that is almost unwatchable on a non-faroudja player but looks fine on my Panny CP72.

JVC's have a progressive scan pilot light on the front that glows green in film mode, red in video mode, and will change color accordingly when the player's set to auto. When playing Red Violin that light gets all confused, and the pq is not very good even when you force it into film or video mode. When played on the Panasonic it looks like any good film based transfer.

Titanic will have banding in certain scenes when played on a non-Faroudja player unless you force the player into film modes. Shots of the research ship Keldish (sp) taken from a helicopter with a sorta diagonal panning will cause this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks