1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Good Demo Songs

Discussion in 'Music' started by Jeff-Z, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Jeff-Z

Jeff-Z Auditioning

What are some good songs to hear when demo-ing new audio equipment? Songs that show clarity and also songs that just seem to tell you this speaker sounds nice??

2. Jeff-Z

Jeff-Z Auditioning

No one has ant songs they like to listen to while testing new speakers?

3. Ryan_Walsh

Ryan_Walsh Stunt Coordinator

Generally speakers/amps/source will sound "best" for particular genres of music. Most people burn or bring a cd of their favorite tracks and take these to a store to demo. I personally like to bring these tracks.

Won't Get Fooled Again - The Who
    Caledonia Mission - The Band
    How to Fight Loneliness - Wilco
    California - Joni Mitchell
    Do Miss America - Ryan Adams
    All of The Soft bulletin - The Flaming Lips
    Listening Wind - The Talking Heads
    All of A Tribute to Jack Johnson - Miles Davis

These songs generally fill the range of music I enjoy listening to.

4. DaveDickey

DaveDickey Stunt Coordinator

For SACD demos I like the multi-channel version of "Funeral For A Friend / Love Lies Bleeding" on "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road." The song has a great variety of sounds, which really gives a system the workout.

For DVD-A, the best recordings I've heard are "Roundabout" on the album "Fragile" by Yes, and "Hotel California" by the Eagles.

The best sounding CD I've ever heard, and the one I demo most often, is the Mobile Fidelity Gold Disk of "Surfing with the Alien" by Joe Satriani. Although the XRCD "Brothers In Arms" by Dire Straits, which I just unwrapped and am listening to at this moment, sounds amazing. It may replace Satriani in the #1 spot.

If you plan to demo equipment in a store, I'd recommend using the CD you are most familiar with - even if it sounds crappy.

Dave