Good Demo Songs

Discussion in 'Music' started by Jeff-Z, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Jeff-Z

Jeff-Z Auditioning

What are some good songs to hear when demo-ing new audio equipment? Songs that show clarity and also songs that just seem to tell you this speaker sounds nice??

2. Jeff-Z

Jeff-Z Auditioning

No one has ant songs they like to listen to while testing new speakers?

3. Ryan_Walsh

Ryan_Walsh Stunt Coordinator

Generally speakers/amps/source will sound "best" for particular genres of music. Most people burn or bring a cd of their favorite tracks and take these to a store to demo. I personally like to bring these tracks.

Won't Get Fooled Again - The Who
    Caledonia Mission - The Band
    How to Fight Loneliness - Wilco
    California - Joni Mitchell
    Do Miss America - Ryan Adams
    All of The Soft bulletin - The Flaming Lips
    Listening Wind - The Talking Heads
    All of A Tribute to Jack Johnson - Miles Davis

These songs generally fill the range of music I enjoy listening to.

4. DaveDickey

DaveDickey Stunt Coordinator

For SACD demos I like the multi-channel version of "Funeral For A Friend / Love Lies Bleeding" on "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road." The song has a great variety of sounds, which really gives a system the workout.

For DVD-A, the best recordings I've heard are "Roundabout" on the album "Fragile" by Yes, and "Hotel California" by the Eagles.

The best sounding CD I've ever heard, and the one I demo most often, is the Mobile Fidelity Gold Disk of "Surfing with the Alien" by Joe Satriani. Although the XRCD "Brothers In Arms" by Dire Straits, which I just unwrapped and am listening to at this moment, sounds amazing. It may replace Satriani in the #1 spot.

If you plan to demo equipment in a store, I'd recommend using the CD you are most familiar with - even if it sounds crappy.

Dave