Good demo disc for RPTV shopping?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert McDonald, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Robert McDonald

Robert McDonald Stunt Coordinator

The wife actually suggested we go look for a RPTV; she wants a 65" (55" too small, she said) (please pardon me while I pick myself up off of the floor [​IMG] )
    What is a good demo disc to judge video? I would think a disc which isn't the perfect transfer as well as a good transfer so we can see how the TVs handle all of the imperfections, etc.
    We have analog cable which I understand may not look too good at 65", so any advice for that, as well, would be appreciated.

2. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

Shrek would do very well because it has lots of vertical and horizontal transitions that are tough to display well if your set has ghosting or ringing.

Really what you need is AVIA or VE and use their resolution and sharpness screens to look for problems after briefly calibrating each for equal contrast, brightness, color, tint and sharpness. Unfortunately, few places have DVD players hooked up. Usually they are running a hi def loop.

Brian