Good deed well done at Walmart

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Garrison, Jun 8, 2002.

1. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

Well, happened to swing by walmart today. Saw a dual release of JP3. Know what I did? Wasn't much room on the shelf, but I did my best to slide the fullscreens in the back and have the Widescreen version showing in the front so no poor sap will grab the wrong DVD. Also did that to Oceans Eleven. Was sneaky at doing it too. Cameras all over the place. LOL I saw Snow Dogs there, but it was all Full Screen. I was gonna complain, but everybody was busy. That's pretty pathetic to have the studios waste their time and money butchering up a work of art. I hope Pan and Scan will end soon. I'm glad I joined this forum to know more people who prefer OAR. I'll keep doing that at walmart or any other store when I stop by so no poor sap grabs the Pan and Scan DVD.

2. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

3. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

I did the same recently at Best Buy. They had a big Harry Potter cardboard display, and it looks like the stock boy restocked only P&S, onto the front of each opening, causing the entire display to be P&S. So I moved the widescreen back to the front on the top couple rows, at least giving people a choice.

4. Ken Garrison

Guess I'll go complain to disney then. What a bunch of morons. I really wanted to see that movie, but I can't because I know I'm watching a butchered up version.

5. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Unless you guys are members of the union you can't do that. [​IMG]

6. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

7. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I rearranged the Ocean's 11 and Harry Potter at work (Target) the other day... put all the widescreens in front. I am good friends with the manager of electronics, so he didn't really mind (damn night crew and their P&S fixation [​IMG] )

8. Ken Garrison

Good job Rob. Keep up the good work. May we hope someday, Pan and Scan will be a thing of the past and everything on the shelf will be OAR the way it was MEANT to be seen, not the way the viewer wants to see it. A lot of Pan and Scan lovers want to see the movie cut up even though they know they're missing a lot. Well, that's too bad. That's like taking a painting back to the artists and telling him to paint this piece blue, and this red and then cropping it to fit the frame. It's just not right. Nobody would do that to a painting, so why do it to movies? Movies are the same art as paintings. So, let's hope this Pan and Scan crap ends soon.

9. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

10. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

11. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

Well, I was at Wal Mart today, and what I saw leaves no doubt in my mind that they are an evil pan-and-scan empire.

Nineteen copies of A Beautiful Mind. That's seventeen pan and scan plus two widescreen. And get this: the two widescreen copies were together back behind the pan and scan copies. I took the liberty of putting the widescreen copies in the front where they belong.

Avoid Wally World, folks. They'll draw you in and hypnotize you so that you repeat over and over "This-film-has-been-mod-i-fied-from-its-or-i-gin-al-ver-sion. It-has-been-for-mat-ted-to-fit-your-screen." Go to some place decent and respectable. Best Buy. Suncoast. Anywhere but Wal Mart.

12. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

My Wal-Mart has about three fullscreen copies of "A Beautiful Mind" and around fifteen widescreen copies. Same with "Ocean's Eleven." I imagine this means the fullscreen versions are selling better even though neither has any sort of placement advantage over the other. Obviously the average Wal-Mart customer just wants the version "without the ugly black bars."

Best Buy and Suncoast suck too, of course. But then who buys DVDs at a STORE anymore?

13. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

At one of the best stores to buy DVDs in my area [​IMG] , I know of some punk worker who put all 200+ copies of the pan & scan A Beautiful Mind back in the back, leaving only widescreen copies out on the floor.
    Similar "clever merchandising" also led to the widescreen versions of Ocean's Eleven and Harry Potter being much more visible and accessible at this particular store. . . [​IMG]

14. Aaryn Chan

Aaryn Chan Supporting Actor

15. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

My Wal-Mart has a mix of pan-and-scan and widescreen. Some movies they have more P&S than WS, some have more WS, some are only P&S, some are only WS, and some are equal. The other day, I rearranged EVERY dual release. I try to do that at every store I go to. My Best Buy is very good about having both in stock, and in equal numbers. The local Suncoast will only carry WS versions.