Good deals you found at goodwill, second-hand stores, or yard sales...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Harold Wazzu, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

Just wonder if anyone on a low budget such as me has ever found any good deals on A/V equipment at any second-hand places?

Yesterday I scored an Aiwa 6" 50watt downfiring subwoofer for $8.50 at my local Goodwill.

http://www.acephotodigital.com/sc/ma...p?id=964587894

I was pretty excited because it is perfect for my apartment. So what have you guys found?

2. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

None on A/V equipment but some on laser discs. Found a store selling a mint Lubitsch Touch LD box set for $19.99; I sold it later for $400.

3. Greg Dorsey

Greg Dorsey Extra

None in the way of A/V equipment, but eight or nine years ago when living in the DC metro area I paid $15 for a piece of modern art at an estate sale. The piece had the artist's card on the back. When I visited his studio I found that his works were selling for $1,500 to $2,000. I don't know what they're going for today, but I'm happy with my return on investment. [​IMG]

4. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

Saw a set (5 speakers) of mint condition Athena S.5 speakers auctioning low at a goodwill. Didn't realize then how much they were worth or I would have bought them.

5. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

Not on AV equipment, but I did find a valuable rug for only $8 (worth $500)... Aside from the blood stain at the top right, it has been a wonderful addition to our home...

6. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I found a McIntosh 2100 Amplifier at a Goodwill Store on Haight Street for $75. It was shoved under a shelf but it still caught my eye. Nearly busted a gut walking to the bus stop with it. Works great!

7. James_S

James_S Second Unit

Last weekend I pick up a Panamax Max1000+ - for $25.00 at a garage sale, brand new never been used. I thought it was a good deal.

Last year bought my Klipsch KSW 10 Sub - for $20.00 at a garage sale. He got it in a trade for some yard work that he did for someone, he didn't want it and no idea on how it worked. Well my Friend it works great.

Best finds:

I found The Killer Criterion and Hard Boiled Criterion DVDs in a Pawn Shop for $5.99 each. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. James Corey

James Corey Stunt Coordinator

Picked up in a used vinyl store in 1986:

MFSL vinyl of "The Beatles" aka "The White Album" $12.99
    MFSL vinyl of "Magical Mystery Tour" $6.99

Both in primo condition. The staff must have been asleep when they priced these items and put them out in the "new arrivals" bin that day, as items like this rarely make it to the floor.

9. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

10 years ago I got the original 1981 laserdisc issues of Charlotte's Web and Muppet Movie for 40 CENTS each, since they thought they were LP's! Muppet Movie is a completely open-matte transfer that shows the puppeteers and other stuff you're not supposed to see at the bottom of the screen.
    Found a used DTS Jurassic Park laserdisc for about $4.
    On a trip to Seattle last year I picked up a working Panasonic Quadraphonic 8-track player for $5.
    Once found the Tengen version of Tetris for the NES at a thrift store for around $3, usually goes for several times that amount- it's a better version than the one Nintendo themselves put out and sued the other one off the market. Also got a working Vectrex game system (with built-in vector monitor) for around $15, still haven't found any games for it though. Got Colecovision, Intellivision and Atari 5200 systems and games for next to nothing before the term "retrogaming" was invented.