Good Deals on Power Tools for DIY!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Chris Keen, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Chris Keen

Chris Keen Stunt Coordinator

Okay, this isn't exactly on topic, but it's not really off topic either. Being that most of us here are DIYer types, and we generally need tools to accomplish our mission, I figured that I would post some prices on some tools here. Now these prices are from Tool Crib, and I can't guarantee that they're the best, but they are good. If someone else knows a better place for price etc, then please post that information, as it benefits us all. These prices reflect the latest flyer that I recieved in the mail, and I'm only listing some of the better sales prices. BTW, Tool Crib is associated with Amazon, for whatever that's worth to you.

Porter Cable 557K Biscuit Joiner $169.99 ($30 MIR)
    Delta 13" Planer #22-580 $349.99 ($50 MIR)
    Delta 12" Twinlaser Miter Saw $299.99 ($50 MIR)
    Bosch Jigsaw 1587AVSK $134.99 (free clamps)
    Hitachi 3.25HP Var Spd Plunge Router $159.99$134.99**
    ** see link below in Ronnie's post!

For reference, I bought the Hitachi last year for $179 and it is normally $199. Great router for the price, big, strong, but heavy. The Bosch Jigsaw is pretty much the defacto standard of jigsaws and is normally $159.99 and doesn't come with a pair of free EZ-Grip work clamps. The Porter Cable Biscuit Joiner has a great adjustable fence, and from what I've read is the better of the affordable Joiners. The $30 Mail In Rebate brings it down to $169.99. I think I'm gonna pick up one of these myself in a week or so. I've been wanting one.

BTW, this would be a good thread to keep going, when people know of good deals on clamps, power tools, router bits, saw blades, etc.

Happy sawdust trails!

2. Arthur_King

Arthur_King Stunt Coordinator

Harbor freight www.harborfreight.com usually has some decent deals. They do handle quite a few "off-brands" that many here would probably avoid, but they certainly carry your Ryobi, Makita, Milwakee, etc brands and occasionally have some pretty good deals.

I got a 100 piece rotary tool (kit) for 11.99. Its some noname (dont remember it right now) but damn for 12 bux, If it dies, I just get another one [​IMG]

Daffy Arthur King

3. Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell Second Unit

4. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

Don't know if they count, but I'm doing a marketing gig all week for Home Depot and Ridgid tools...Ridgid is offering a lifetime warranty on their products if you buy before Dec. 31st, including batteries. They also lowered their 3 piece cordless set's price to $329...these tools are pretty nice, as I've been working and showing them off all week. (Some of you may have seen the competition we're running all around the nation).

5. Chris Keen

Chris Keen Stunt Coordinator

Arthur, Harbor Freight Tools is not as bad as some might think when it comes to certain things. I picked up a load of cheap clamps from them, and they've been good clamps, especially for the $$. They're not Bessey K-Body clamps, but then I don't expect them to be. I've heard that the 14" bandsaw that they routinely have on sale (like right now) for $219 is actually a really good deal, and a pretty darned decent bandsaw.

Ronnie, my volunteer friend. I am not upset. I would like to have got mine for that price. Instead, it's just that much more of a spectacular deal for someone shopping for a router. I think I'll edit my original post above to include your information!

Joe, I read in one of my wood magazines recently that Home Depot / Rigid recently changed who was making their power tools. I believe, if I remember correctly what I read, that their lifetime warranty on power tools would still apply, and that all of their older power tools (made by a different company) would still be honored as well. Do you have different information? And BTW, I was looking at some of their new line of tools the other day, and they are pretty nice. Considering the warranty policy (if it is still life time), then I would not recommend against the Rigid line of power tools.

Please folks, pitch in if you have finds to share!

6. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

i was looking at a biscuit joiner but then i realized I can get a really nice router table that will do more then the joiner and i will have a router table. The only thing is i can't do joints in the middle of the board.

7. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I use my tools more than the average home-owner but not quite need professional tools. Craftsman handtools and powertools have always done great for me. For the price and availability (especially craftsman-club deals) they're really hard to beat. I'v bought stuff like clamps and some one-time-use air-tools at harbour freight and they work well, but for stuff I plan on using often I usually stick w/ Craftsman, especially handtools (lifetime warranty and can get them replaced almost ANYWHERE you happen to be). Stuff like router bits and specialty drill bits i get from Harbour Freight as well. Only gripe I have w/ Craftsman is the bearings on the cordless circular-saws seem to wear out w/ heavy use (mine haven't yet but it's something i've seen/heard in others).

The 115 piece titanium-nitride bit set for $40 from harbour freight is really tempting, but i already have a 30 piece titanium nitride and 11 piece spade bit set, both from Craftsman, so I'm not sure I need it.

8. ShannonS

ShannonS Auditioning

Joe,

Since you been hanging around the Depot, you may have seen this. Home Depot in my area was closing out the Makita LS1013 10" Compound Sliding Mitre Saw for $374. Only one store had them left when I was looking, so they went fast at that price. I don't know if that was a regional deal, but you might call your local HD if you need one. It was originally $499.

Makita is also offering a 14.4V 3/8 inch drill kit free through a mail in offer when you buy this saw. For icing on the cake, I got one year no interest financing on the HD card and an addtional 10% off using a coupon they sent me to get me to use my card. Sweeeet!

9. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

i like my porter cable tools i like them alot and they are great. i will be lookng to get a good roughter.

10. Al Garay

Al Garay Stunt Coordinator

Chris, looks like you have made good choices.
    You might want to consider Dewalt, Makita for the joiner and miter saw.

I would be concerned about Rigid. Emerson has a good reputation. But, I read in a woodworking site that Ryobi is making the power tools for Emerson. So, the Rigid tools may be similar to Craftsman as opposed to Porter Cable, Dewalt, Milwaukee, Makita, Bosch, Hitachi... I prefer to go with the latter 6 vendors.

Al

11. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

12. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

i have a craftsman bandsaw (very happy with it, minus the fact its a smaller one), dewalt cutout tool (relatively happy with it, its just TOO powerful for a lot of things), and porter cable circular sander (LOVE it, had a cheap black and decker one, took it back in one day, glad i spent twice as much on the porter cable). i have learned, get good stuff, it lasts and works better. i even have a router for my router table that my father gave me. its at least 15 years old, works FINE.

13. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Woodcraft is having a 15% off all power tools sale Novemeber 21-22. I don't know if this is a local (Portland) sale or nationwide... check with your local store.

14. Vince Bray

Vince Bray Stunt Coordinator

Since it hasn't been mentioned, pawn shops are a great source for the heavy-duty tools at a 50-70% discount. They're ususally a little rough looking, sometimes superficial and a little cleaning will surprise you, sometimes just used alot; they will stand up to your abuse and laugh. I got a bosch jigsaw there about 10 years ago for $50 and it still kicks. Recently got a dewalt screwgun (almost brand new) for $40, a porter cable router for $40 - then found the plunge base close-out at HD and got it for $20 because the manager didn't know what the price was and I offered him cash. Anyway, stop off at the bigger pawn shops and check it out, you'll be glad.