Good Deal? Please help HT Rookie!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd_K, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Todd_K

Todd_K Extra

Nov 6, 2002
    I have been scanning this board and been researching alot before making a home theater purchase, but am also very, very new to home theater. So yesterday I got a package offering from a local store and was wondering what you guys think:

Onkyo SR600
    Polk R50 (Front Speakers)
    Polk R20 (Rear Speakers)
    Polk CSI30 (Center Channel)
    Polk CSW303 (Subwoofer)

Total Deal: $1350

Seems like a good deal and I think I could upgrade to a H/K 325 for an $150 or so.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
  2. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

Aug 9, 2002
    I am not overly familiar with polk speakers, but in the past, I did not care for them. However, I did like the new LSi series.

I can't speak on pricing for polk speakers.

You did not say where you were purchasing this. Is this a big chain, local store etc?

When you buy from from a specialty store, part of what you are paying for is the ability to audition stuff, the other part is for good and reliable service. If you frequent them, expect to pay a little extra. In my opinion, its money well spent.

If you don't want to audition your stuff, you could always to online. However, you should not listen at the specialty store and the buy the same products online. Just work with them to get a price you both can live with.

Check out this page from a very reputable online dealers:

In your price range you could get the hk520 & atlantic t75

or the onkyo 800 and athenas which is actually a 7.1 system and not a 5.1 system.

Good luck,
  3. BrianAe

BrianAe Second Unit

Dec 2, 2002
    The onkyo on it's own can be purchased for a little under 400 USD.