good deal or wait?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by john waring, Nov 4, 2001.

1. john waring

john waring Agent

Checkin out recievers today and came across a Harmon Kardon AVR 510 . This model will not be carried anymore and the new ones are due in soon. They want $1198.00 canadian for this demo . I feel that is way too much. I should wait till the new ones are out like the 520 320 220 120. I am interested in the Harmon Kardons. What do you guys think?

2. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Welcome to the Home Theater Forum John!
    Yes the HK's are good stuff.
    But since you are considering spending that much on the 510 I would wait and go for the 320 or 520! I believe these do Pro Logic 2.
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    ------------------
    Sean
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

3. john waring

john waring Agent

I thank you for your comment.I think I will wait and go for the newest model. One thing ,Do I need a reciever with prologic 2 ? I have pro logic now and thought upgrading was to get away from pro logic. I'm new to this stuff, sorry.

4. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

John, Pro Logic is going to be around for a long time, PL2 is a Pro Logic enhancement and is very nice for VHS and DD 2.0 (Pro Logic).
    Yes we upgrade to make sure we can take advantage of all possible audio formats available i.e. dts, dts ES, DD EX, etc.
    But TV, VHS, and many older movies on DVD are Pro Logic and if your looking at such a nice receiver you might as well get PL2 to enhance Pro Logic material.
    ------------------
    Sean
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

5. john waring

john waring Agent

Thanks for the simple explanation sean. I hope that 520 is not priced too high. Still lookin around .