What's new

Good Deal on 36" Tau HX40 - Should I Buy? (1 Viewer)

Dan Curwin

Auditioning
A local dealer has a few Panasonic TAU CT-36HX40 in stock which he is selling for $1400.

I have been considering either a WEGA 32" FV or XBR, but the 36" Panasonic for $200 more than the FV is tempting.

The primary feature I would like to get is auto-anamorphic compression. I use standard cable so HD is not in my immediate future. My Sony DVD player is not progressive scan. I am upgrading a 10-year-old 32" Sony "S" series (vertically flat).

I have been doing some research on the forum and elsewhere. Sounds like there were some geometry problems on the early HX40's, as well as a tilt problem. I am concerned about that.

As for features, the HX40 has a line doubler but it's not a deinteracer (no reverse 3:2 pulldown). It is my understanding that if I upgrade to a progressive scan DVD player, I won't need this anyway.

Also, I have read some comments that the Panasonic auto-detect for vertical compression doesn't work with all DVD players. Anyone have any experience with this?

The price is tempting, but not if I'm just going to be buying a headache.

Opinions?

Matt Taylor

Stunt Coordinator
Dan,

I have the CT-32HX40 which is the smaller version of the same television. I know some people have had problems with them, but I have had no problems with mine since I bought it about a year ago. It is our secondary TV, so it doesn't get a lot of use, but the HD picture is great, and the picture with interlaced DVD is great too (haven't seen it with progressive scan DVD). $1499 is a good price, but not a must-buy price. If you could work them down to $1350, then that would be a great deal.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks