Good deal for Pan cp72k?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EdD, Jan 11, 2003.

1. EdD

EdD Agent

I've been comparing the JVC FA900BK with the PAN CP72K and have posted a few questions to this forum. I've also been reading many of the other threads about both units. One of these discuss a problem relating to poor grounding of the component output. This concerned me so I started to shift my decision towards the jvc. This led me to check out a local dealer I trust. I was very impressed with he video performance. The deal he gave me is: $239 w/ full return (no restocking fee) policy or $209 w/ 15% restocking if returned. They do not carry the JVC but if I can get the cp72k for $209 locally I'm considering the panny. What do you guys think?
    BTW, I did take a look at the JVC at a local BestBuy and that thing is a beast. The tray does look very complicated and possibly prone to jamming. Couldn't evaluate it's video performance however since it wasn't hooked up to a monitor. Wish I could find a place that sells both units locally.
    So, is $209 local a good price? Should I be worried about the grounding issue?
    Thanks.

2. MikeSh

MikeSh Stunt Coordinator

Ed, I bought my cp-72 from CC right after Christmas and have had no problems with it. I'd say go with the Panny.

MikeS.

3. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

I bought the CP-72 locally (DC area) a couple weeks ago for $150 after rebate and it doesn't have the grounding problem either.

FYI, if you're set on the JVC XV-FA900BK, BestBuy.com has it for $185 after rebate. If you can get the B&M to honor their website price and if you have their 10% off preferred customer coupon, that would knock it down to $159! Not sure how long that price will hold so you need to jump on it.

4. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I have been researching DVD players, as I currently use my Playstation 2, and the drive is wearing out on it (it gets stuck sometimes). It sees a lot of use as a DVD player, so I hope to get a real one and keep wear to a minimum. From what I have read on the CP72, it seems a minority of people have seen the grounding problem. If you get it local, you could always return it if you are unlucky enough to get one with the problem. My 2 cents.

5. Kevin Nolan

Kevin Nolan Stunt Coordinator

I bought mine from Video Only in Portland Oregon...no problems I LOVE this unit! The picture blows my old Tosh 5109 out of the water!
    The units that had the grounding isse were mostly purchaed from OneCall from what I have seen online.
    Kevin