good days and bad days

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Yoon Lee, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Yoon Lee

Yoon Lee Stunt Coordinator

Do you believe there are good days and bad days for your system? I swear that my system sounds better one day compared to other days. Do they have different conditions like us? I'm leaning toward believing that side, myself, BTW.

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I think it is your mood that changes and thus affects your perception.

DJ

3. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I believe the mood we are in, the weather, things on our minds, whether it's that of the month (for me, that's bill-paying time) etc.... all affects the way we enjoy our stereo/HT.

4. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

I think some of it is the quality of power you're getting from the electric company. This can and does fluctuate, and it will affect your system.

But there are also certain psychological factors as well, like David and Danny noted.

5. Steve Zimmerman

Steve Zimmerman Second Unit

I think the "quality power" argument even if it were theoretically valid totally pales in comparison to the human factors involved.

IMO, your mood, level of fatigue, level of expectation, etc account for 99.9% of what you're reporting.

--Steve

6. Holger

Holger Stunt Coordinator

@all,

i have often this effect when listen to my car stereo system. on a rainy day the sound appears to be more harsh, more edgy just not so balanced as it is on a sunny day.
    i'm far from being in a bad mood anytime it rains, but maybe the weather conditions have way more influence to our minds then we ever would think of. it's also thinkable that the lower air pressure on rainy days could have some effect on the sound system or maybe just to our eardrums.

regards, holger

7. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

Hey Steve...
    I had 3 brownouts last night within 10 minutes, and 5 total that I can remember, so for me, "quality power" is VERY "theoretically valid ." [​IMG] Besides, I didn't say or intend to say that "all" of the variation comes from power, but just a part of it. You're right about other factors being far more important, but those factors had already been mentioned when I posted.
    Holger --
    I think you're right about air pressure having some effect on sound.

8. RobertSchaez

RobertSchaez Stunt Coordinator

I notice the same thing with how my truck and motorcycle run. I'm not making fun at all, but I have definitely felt that my mood makes everything just purr along better some days than others. My bike seems to run smoother, with more power, etc. Our moods affect our perception of our surroundings. It is in our imagination, but sometimes, so is our reality. (WHA?!)

9. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Robert,

I agree with you on how cars/trucks/motorcycles run. Sometimes I hear things with my car that I either didn't noticed or ignored. The logic also extends to why the mechanic never can duplicate that strange noise you swear you heard on your car.

10. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

My speakers sounded like magneplanars last night. This morning they sounded like Bose.

11. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Anybody else feel like when you just finished washing your car/truck that not only do you believe its running perfectly and you fell like you have all this NEW power towards it but even the sound is better.

I feel the same way towards my HT. A clean room and clean speakers sounds better to me.

12. Ed Four

Ed Four Auditioning

Absolutely Greg. I'm definitely more at ease in a clean room, which makes my system sound better to me. My wife on the other hand claims not to notice. Then again, sometimes I wonder if she'd even notice if I got rid of all my speakers but the center channel!

13. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Actually during the night time it IS better to listen to music. The electrical signal is cleaner as less heavy machinery and homes contaminating the signal. Also the lighting is less and it's easier to focus on sound without having the visual distraction of "daylight".
    Also due to it being the time of relaxation at the end of the day when your tensions can relax from a hard days work. Less ambient noise outside from transportation as well. The temperature is also cooler creating the air to be more dense for better sound transfer and cooling for components. [​IMG]
    Loudspeakers can easily be marketed as having emotional impacts on people. Justifying a high end speaker buy can be done in that you are able to use the music it plays to change your emotional state the same way a psychologist does.
    Not only is it cheaper in the long run, but you can decide how your session goes by choosing the music.
    Doh, am I just BSing? [​IMG]

14. Angelo_Petralba

Angelo_Petralba Second Unit

Hello All-
    Let me put in my 2 cents and also from personal experience.
    I believe its the mood you are in and also the Air Pressure!
    What I notice while listening in my car is that the sound will ACTUALLY CHANGE (The highs are amplified and the Lows are reduced) when I get to the top of the hill of a particular freeway I use. It's almost like when you listen to your headsets while on an airplane @ 10K feet!
    So definitely air pressure is a factor.
    NEWBIE RESPONSE
    Angelo

15. Yoon Lee

Yoon Lee Stunt Coordinator