Good Criterion news for Canadians!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MichaelPe, May 5, 2002.

1. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

After browsing around on some sites, it seems that we may finally be getting decent prices for Criterion DVDs. In the past, I can remember seeing them selling for $65 or $80, but I believe that the upcoming "Traffic" DVD will be priced at around $30-40 (Future Shop will have it for $32.99).
    I remember having to import all of my Criterion DVDs online from the US, but I think that in the future, Americans will be importing them from Canada. [​IMG]

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I wouldn't bank on all Criterions falling into this price range unless they got a domestic distributor. Chasing Amy was pretty cheap up here, but that didn't translate across the board. FS has often had new releases relatively cheap (either $35.99 or $42.99 for doubles), but these go back to the high prices after a short while. The trick is finding them at retail since they never seem to be available around street date.

3. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

4. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

Not sure if Traffic: CC is getting distributed by Universal - but if it were the case, then that would explain the price.
    Chasing Amy: CC was distributed by Buena Vista and I've seen it go for $29 CAD.
    If the July 9th release of The Royal Tenenbaums is a Criterion release, I'm seeing it at $30 CAD - no doubt due to BV distribution.
    Otherwise, for the most part Criterion DVDs have dropped in price in Canada over the last 6 months - but at double the price of a studio SE, they're still priced much too high.

5. Ken Situ

Ken Situ Stunt Coordinator

I don't think we will have price drop until we have a distributor up here.

I've never seen a FutureShop has a Criterion on street date.