What's new

Good component video cables (1 Viewer)

William_K_F

Agent
Hello,

I am looking to get a 3x set of component video cables

(possiblely with 2x more for stereo sound).

This is to connet a Pioneer Elite DVD player to a

Toshiba 34HF81 HD TV. The distance is less than

a meter.

I would like something that delivers good quality at

a good price. Anything under $50 seems reasonable to me.

I saw mention of Canare but am not clear on what that is.

It sounds like it is a better connector at the ends

that helps maintain 75 ohms?

Thanks.

-William

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Canare and Belden both make and sell cable to the broadcast industry. So they are not "consumer" centric.

And yes, the Canare RCA plugs are about the only ones that gurantee 75 ohms impedence.

A lot of people buy the tools & stock to build their own, then sell cables on the side.

Go to eBay and search for "Canare" and you will find small shops/vendors.

About prices: The Canare RCA plugs are about $3 ea. The Cable boots add $0.25 so for 6 of them you are looking at about $20. The coax is about $1.60 /ft. So total materials is about $25.

This does not include labor for the tech to build the cable.

This does not include shipping (to the guy, then to you).

This does not include heat shrink.

This does not include "cut charges" for less than 500 feet of cable.

This does not include any profit.

So your cable might actually cost you closer to $80. But you will be getting quality similar to the $280 Monster Video 3 cable.

If you cannot go the extra $$, email me. We will talk.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
How are the component cables using the Canare V3-5CFB RG6
made? Is it the same process as the L-5CFB RG6 only with 3 sets of connectors as opposed to one set and just a much fatter cable? I have all of the tools and already make my own interconnects(just sold my first sub cable :D ) and I would like to start making component cables as well.

William_K_F

Agent
Bob McElfresh,

Are you suggesting that there is no need for the Canare for the two audio channels that go with the component?

Thanks.

-William

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Well, the progressive/HD video signals run up to 35 Mhz and are much more sensitive to the cable than audio signals.

While making audio cables with Canare coax & connectors is fine, it's ... overkill for the audio that runs from 20-22,000 hz. But high quality video cables make fine audio cables so go for it.

Since your eyes are more sensitive than your ears, and that equipment is HD/Progressive, I think your system is more sensitive to the video cables than the audio cables. Thats why I'm emphasizing the video over the audio.

So I take it you want:

Cable A: 3 conductor HD component video cable from the DVD to the TV.

Cable B: L/R audio cable from the analog-audio outputs of the DVD player to the receiver.

or are you sending L/R audio to the TV as well?

William_K_F

Agent
Hello,
Well the DVD is too old to be progressive unfortuneately, but the TV tries to do the 3-2 pulldown on the fly.
So I just bought Cable A for $41.90 3 feet including shipping:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1339269553
Seems like a reasonable price.
Regarding Cable B, now the signal goes to the TV and then out again to a mini system with mini-subwoofer. It sounds better than the built in speakers, but would have a lot of room for improvement with a real receiver. I go through the TV as it switches the audio with the video signal this way. A bit more noise, but the system isn't that good audio wise so far.
I still want a good Cable B, as I expect in the long run I will have a receiver, so would want a cable that continues to be sufficient. I take it cable need not be as exacting, so what is a sufficient compromise for audio?
Also, I have S-Video out of the Satellite dish, should I get a Belden 1808A brilliance S-Video cable like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1333904295
Thanks for all the help!
-William

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Thats an outstanding cable for any price. The Belden coax with Canare connectors is a great combination.

For audio, try the AR Brand of cables from Best Buy. Decent quality, good price. (Heck, contact the guy you bought the cable from and see if he will sell you 2 sets. Then you will have a spare set of component cables for when you get the STB or HD Sat receiver.)

Yes, I'd go with a SVideo cable made with Belen coax as well. I've been drooling over these myself, but then I would want 4 of them.

It sounds like you are doing a great job with the research & shopping for good prices.

Gregg Hart

Stunt Coordinator
Bob,

What do you think of Canare's L-5CFB cable for component video connection, coupled with their 75 ohm connectors. Someone was offering this combo for $45 for a 2M set. Is it worth the price? Or would you recommend the Belden 1694A cable mentioned in the post above or this?

Thanks.

Mark Rich

Second Unit
If you are like me and prefer buying from a company rather than an e-bay seller try one of the following. If price is your only concern then e-bay is the way to go.

Rhinocables.com Belden cables

KustomKables.com Canare cables

Avcable.com Gepco cables

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Well the Canare stuff IS designed/built to work with it's own brand of connectors. Sometimes quality depends on how well the parts fit together and you have the "warm fuzzy" that the Canare works with its own.
People argue the numbers between the Belden 1694 and Canare L-5CFB saying one is better than the other. But both cables are considered the "high end". I would not hesitate to have cables made with either.
(Canare has a bit of a problem - While their connectors are top-quality, they dont have the distribution that Belden has. A lot of times you can find Belden, or a Belden distributor, locally. And Belden even has a list of distributors who will sell odd lengths rather than Canare where you must buy a 500 foot spool. I think this is why a lot of people use Belden coax with Canare connectors - availability).
While Mark has a point about buying from companies, several of the eBay sellers ARE in fact cable companies. They just use eBay instead maintaining their own web space.
Is $45 for a 2 meter set good? Think about Monster Video 3 Component cable set for $280 and ask me the question again.:)

Mark Rich

Second Unit
My concern with E-bay sellers is they compete primarily on price. Who ever sells the lowest priced (similar)product gets the sale. Competeing on this basis leads to ever smaller profits until its simply not worth selling the cable anymore. The seller then closes shop or goes on to selling widgets leaving the buyer without warranty protection. Yes this does apply to regular custom cable sellers as well. However a company that invests in web space, hosting, marketing, inventory etc.. is likely to be around a year or two down the road. They are less likely to move on to selling widgets next week/month. That is providing customers appreciate this commitment and support them. You can guess who gets my business. Just my 2 cents

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks