What's new

Good component switcher (1 Viewer)

I am in the market for a component switcher. I bought one from BB and to my luck, it was crap. Only one of the component inputs worked on it, and the other 2 were shot from the get go. I returned it and tried one that was more natured towards game consoles and dvd players, and that one brought the picture quality down.

I'm not looking at spending 50bajillion dollars on a switcher, but want something that can pass 480i/p, 720p. 1080i without a hitch and doesn't drop the signal all that much. It will be mounted in a closet with the rest of my equipment and the wire going from the switcher to the TV is no more than 40 feet. (Up a wall, across the attic, down the wall to a wall plate, then to the TV) ANy help is greatly appreicated and I've seen the thread talking about the Audio Authority switcher, and if I can find that at a price lower than $250, that would be the golden ticket.

Thanks in Advance.

DanHal

Stunt Coordinator
By any chance was it a Pelican Switcher that you bought from BB? I've heard plenty of good reviews about that as a cheaper switcher with component and optical capabilities. Do a little research on whether or not you want a passive switcher or an active one, ie, do you want to manually switch it, or have it done automatically. A few of the automatic switchers have bandwith issues, so be sure to check that before buying one.

A final suggestion, many receivers will do switching. If that is something you are looking to upgrade to in the near future, you could kill two birds with one stone. Good luck!

Nah. I currently own a Sony V333ES. It does everything that I need it to and I don't really want to get rid of it. I would want to control the component switcher manually. I just feel a lil better about it. And the switcher I bought was a Pelican, but the quality of the signal was dirt.

Thanks for the reply.

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
Those Inday switched look like they are pretty decent quality. Has anyone tried their digital audio switch? I'd like to see an HDMI/DVI switcher from them.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member

I take it you were using only the component video?
I am only using it for s-video and analog audio which outperforms my old sony switcher.

Nah. I was using Composite and Component, but since I have an HDTV, why use composite? I just need something that will pass HD signals without degrading them drastically. I think i'm going to order the inday component switcher and digital audio switcher. I just don't want to buy a new reciever since I got this V333ES ($1200 reciever, for $15). All it needed was a new IC lol and the customer didn't want it.

Chris Dias

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I recently was looking for the same thing. I also bought one from Best Buy (the joytech Control Centre) but that degraded the HD signals.

So on a recomendation from someone here and at AVS i got one from www.video-storm.com. I got the CSW62. which has 6 inputs and 2 outputs and can be controlled by remote for $160.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to test it yet becuase my projector is in the shop being repaired (under warranty, thank God).

But from what I've heard they have no problems with High Def. Check them out.

Chris

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Chris
I was wondering if you hooked up any s video/composite on the joytech? On the one I returned there was a strange 'wave' (for no better word) that went through the picture.
Wondering if I got a lemon or if they all suck

Chris Dias

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Grant,

I found the Joytech to be great for everything except HD. In fact at the time there was a pricing mistake so I ended up buying 2 and I gave the other one to a friend of mine who uses it for all of his gaming systems and he has had no problems with it.

So if you aren't planning on running any HD through it, the Joytech was great. Maybe you did just get a lemon.

This was the one I had:

http://www.joytech.net/products.php?...lang=1&catID=9

Is that the one you are talking about?

Chris

Well, there goes the second switcher. I bought the newer Joytech that has the component in on it. It worked fine with my PS2 and XBOX, but with my DVD player it still does the dropout thing when I have it hooked up with component. That is so wierd. Do DVD players just put out a higher signal than the xbox and ps2 do on HD? Cause my dvd is putting out 480p and it's doing it. I really don't wanna drop $260 on the zektor and have it go wrong too. But I might just have to do it. Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing it?

go to joytech.net and click on av accessories and it's the control center 240 series

Well, I buckeled down and got the Zektor HDS4.1 It will do what I need for now. I just wish that they would make stuff that actually works for what they say.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks