Good choice?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mike Littrell, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Mike Littrell

I plan on buying the Denon DHT-684XP package, as my budget right now is under $500. Is this a good starter package?

2. Chad_Henry

Chad_Henry Stunt Coordinator

Denon makes great receivers and crappy speakers. I think you'll find almost universal agreement that the speakers that come w/ HTIB systems are not so great.

If you really like Denon receivers (as I do) and you want a surround sound system for under $500 I'd suggest you go w/ a 1604 from 6ave for $269 (same receiver as in the 684XP package but with a longer warranty) and a set of Fluance AV-HTB speakers for $199.99. You can add a subwoofer later, the Dayton 10" is a good choice at a low price, currently $124.88.

I work for none of these companies, I'm just an HT enthusiast who can appreciate a tight budget. With the 1604 and the Fluance setup you'll get better sound than from the 684XP, even without the subwoofer. Adding the Dayton later will give you the low end.

Regarding the 1604 at 6ave, they list it for $399 on the website but are selling it for the same price as the 1603. If you call them to place the order they will sell it to you for the $269 they list the 1603 at.

3. Mike Littrell

Thanks for the reply. I will check that out [​IMG]