What's new

Good, cheap Subwoofer? (1 Viewer)

Brian.S

Auditioning
Hello,
I am in the process of upgrading my HT and I really would like to get a good subwoofer, but I am on a tight budget. I can't spend any more than $200-$300 but I don't want to get a crappy sub, can anyone reccomened one in this price range? I have been looking at the JBL PB12 or the new E250P I have also found some refurb S120PII for about $300. One reason I was looking at the JBL's is because I think most if not all the rest of my speakers will be JBL, if that makes any differance.

jon_ad

Stunt Coordinator
A subwoofer does not have to match your speakers so you should get whatever sub sounds best to you.

I have never heard one but there have been a lot of goods things said about the Dayton 10" from partsexpress.com
item #300-632. They are offering free shipping on it now. You may also want to look at teh HSU stf-1 at hsuresearch.com. It is a new sub but other HSU subs have been given very high reviews.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I agree, your sub does not need to match your other speakers. Of the subs listed, the S120p is probably your best bet, because it has gotten some very good reviews, though I'm not sure I would go refurb. I DEFINITELY would stay away from the PB10 and PB12 JBLs.

I have a VTF-2, and I will second their products with a strong recommendation as well, though I have not heard the STF-1.

FYI: jon, listing your gear in your signature is not allowed, and since you already have a link, is not necessary.

MarkMaximus

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking in this genre as well, and I still haven't heard any recommendations for a subwoofer between 200-300 dollars.. the VTF-2 is $450 and the S120PII is 375. I need to buy a subwoofer in the price catagory and any suggestions would be welcome.

Jeff G

Auditioning
Brian,
Soundcity outlet has an open box M&K VX7 for $299 (plus $20 shipping). I haven't heard this sub, but other M&K subs I've heard are nice. This is an 8" sub, retailed for $550. I agree with Michael, the Paradigm is a good choice.

I think buying a small, musical sub that doesn't muck up the sound is preferred to buying a 12 or 15" boomer (individual taste). You can also add another sub when finances are more available. The Paradigm is a good option for this.

Good hunting,
Jeff

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator
Brian, you've been given alot of good ideas here, but if I may put in my 2 cents worth. Stay away from the JBL's, I've owned 3, and they have all failed on me. The amp just can't seem to hold up, not that I use them at extra high levels, but just loud enough to enjoy my movies. I'de have to secong the Dayton sub. Good Luck.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

MattBu

Stunt Coordinator
I'd recommend waiting a few weeks, or a month, and budgeting up to $500. The choices at that level become infinitely superior, and you can buy a subwoofer that will be able to travel with you through multiple surround sound setups. There is a Dayton 12" at around $500 that's incredible.

That being said I dont think you can go wrong with that 10" Dayton at Parts Express if you need something now (A feeling which I COMPLETELY understand)

Brian.S

Auditioning
Thanks for all the input! I also found on partsexpress.com the 10" Titanic MKIII from Dayton for about $350 it is 250W would this also be a good sub to consider? I mean will I be happy with it when I pop in my LOTR because the crappy sub I have now(came with my RCA set and claims the sub is 150W) definately is not satisfying me. I hardly ever hear it and when I do it is not nearly as loud and powerful as I would like.

-Brian

Tim Streagle

Stunt Coordinator
The difference between your RCA POS and a Dayton Titanic/HSU STF-1 will be night and day, chicken s**t versus chicken salad. If you're going to spend $350, think about the STF-2 for $50 more.. You can hear it at Comp USA.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks