Good & Cheap Subwoofer... Does it exist ???

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by SeanA, Apr 3, 2006.

1. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

I know this has probably been asked over & over, but here goes again... Are there any good (distortion free) subwoofers available for under $300 ???

I am just looking for a bit more punch on the low end, but I definitely do not want to add any distortion to my current arrangement. For my current set-up, I have Wharfedale Emerald towers up front and they actually do a very good job of producing solid bass (without distortion) given the drivers are only 6" or 6.5". I have never cared for bass heavy music, but I am starting to become convinced that a subwoofer would add to my movie watching experience.

A couple of subwoofers I've contemplated are the HSU line and a Mirage Omni S8. Would I just be wasting my money if I spent only $200 to $300 on a subwoofer ?

2. Ron Temple

Ron Temple Stunt Coordinator

Did a comparison last month between the Bic H100 and Cadence XSub, both 12" subs are very musical and hit down to the mid-20hz with good output ~ 95dbs. The H100(Hsu designed) edged the Cadence in both music and HT, but it was close. I'd also consider the Rocket x-sub based on reviews as a very capable 8' sub.

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I've got the H100 and I've been very pleased.

4. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

No you wouldn't be wasting your $$! You'll notice a huge difference I assure you. Just be selective and take your time. I'll bet you a dollar that if you ever buy another sub after this one..your going to be willing to spend even more. None the same though, you should be able to come up with a decent secondhand unit or even new for that matter.

5. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

Thank you everyone for the input. I will look at the Bic H100 for starters since I have heard good things about HSU products. And I do plan to do some more research. I have gone about 4 years without a sub, so what's a little more time to find the best bang for the buck (even though it is a relatively small buck).

Is it true, for the most part, that you don't have to worry about "matching" a sub tone-wise to your existing speakers ? If so, what other qualities or features should I emphasize in my search ?

6. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

This is true. Your sub does not need to match your other speakers.

Specs that are most interesting include price, driver size, ported/sealed, and frequency response. The first and last I listed are probably most important to you. The frequency response is listed as xxHz to xxHz +/-3dB. In your price range, you're unlikely to find anything that digs deeper than the H100 (~25Hz).

7. Charles-T

Charles-T Agent

Eventhough it's a little outside your price range, you can buy an Earthquake SuperNova MkIV-10 for $350 ($400 shipped).

I just bought two of them. They replaced a cheapie DIY 4 c.f sealed Dayton 15DVC sub that I built, which that replaced an SVS PB12-ISD/2.

I have them paired up with a pair of '79 Klipsch Cornwalls.

Believe it or not, these little SuperNova's do a much better job with music than even the SVS did. Output even seems to be pretty close. The only place that I can see where the SVS bettered the Nova's is in the extreme low end (below 18Hz or so), but that's only durring the nastiest bass heavy movies. Even then, it's still a close call.

It is very obvious that these poor little SuperNova MkIV-10's do not receive the credit they deserve.

8. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

If I were you I'd gather another 100.00 and buy the Mirage S12 from www.Vanns.com for 400.00 shipped.

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I agree with Trent. Right at $400, the S12 is going to give you pretty impressive performance. Probably not as good as the SVS PB-10, but close. The only problem is, I think Vanns is out of stock on them...

10. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

That's an important point. They've been out for quite awhile and I haven't heard anyone mention a possible date they'll be back in stock.

11. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

What about the Mirage S10 ? I really don't want a subwoofer as large as would be required for a 12" driver.

12. Charles-T

Charles-T Agent

Or you could go with the Earthquake SuperNova MkIV-10 for $350 like I said earlier which is much smaller than an SVS PB10-ISD and has better output.