Good cheap Pscan DVD player?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Ollie T, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Ollie T

Ollie T Auditioning

I am looking to get a PScan DVD player to go with my new HDTV. Now that I am broke, I cannot afford the $299 Denon that everybody seems to agree on. Is there anything in the $99-$149 or less range that will get me nice progressive scan? Is it worth it to bother with the $50-$60 progressive sets at Wal-Mart? My Toshiba 51h83 HDTV has upconversion so I don't really need a player that can do that. Any suggestions?

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Not really. All the cheaper under $250 models use a poor de-interlacer, so you won't get any bettern than an interlaced model. Save up for one with the Faroudja de-interlacer and look for a deal on a used model like a Panasonic XP30, check on EBAY I believe there are several there under $200.

3. Ollie T

Ollie T Auditioning

So you are telling me that all the PS DVD players under $250 display a picture similar to a $49 non-PS DVD player? I am currently using my Xbox DVD player at 480i and would like the DVD's to look atleast as good as the games look in 480p.

4. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

In my experience, there still is a world of difference between "economy" players and the 100-200 dollar players.
    8 months ago I bought a Samsung P231. Used it until a few weeks ago when I bought a universal player, the much talked about Pioneer 563a. I got it primarily for the audio, but I was shocked to find that it displayed a far superior picture. I'm not extremely experienced in the HT, but even my girlfriend (who isn't bugged by 4:3 stretched to my widescreen) saw the difference.
    So, do some research, compare players back to back if you can. Go to a Best Buy/tweeter etc. or somewhere when it's not busy and the salespersons are normally cool about hooking up DVD players for audition. But, if you can swing a Faroudja, then do it.

BTW the pioneer can be had for $150 or less now-a-days, and it delivers decent DVD-a and SACD for us non-golden-eared.

5. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    It all depends on the quality of the deinterlacer in your HDTV vs the the one in the progressive player. If the on in your tv sucks, then a cheap DVD player may best it. But Don is right, save up for a Panasonic XP30 or Denon 910 player with a faroudja scaler. The quality is FAR superior to anything costing less.

6. Aaron Gilbert

Aaron Gilbert Second Unit

The Kenwood DV-6050 features the Faroudja de-interlacer and can be found for under $300 online. I actually found it for under $200, link below as it's tough to find in Google. It's a changer, so if you needed a slim player, this isn't it. I'm thinking of picking one up myself, as I just bought a projector. We'll see though - I have the cheapo Panasonic DVDS35 (about $90) and my projector is Panasonic, as is my 31" TV, so there's a certain synergy there. [​IMG] Most of the rest of my gear is Kenwood. Here's the link for the DV-6050. I don't know anything about this company, but it is a new unit and they seem legitimate:

http://store.yahoo.com/shoptronics/kedvprscfa5d.html

Oh, I should add that my friend also has the Panasonic DVDS35 with his Hitachi 51" widescreen HDTV. Using the progressive output into his TV, the picture really is stunning, certainly good enough for my eyes. Take that with a grain of salt though, my eyesight isn't the best. [​IMG]

Aaron Gilbert