Good center channel to go with my bose? (Blah!)

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Keith S, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Keith S

Keith S Extra

So yes...it's true I have Bose! Haha...As mentioned in my first post, I have a pair of Bose 301 IV for my front speakers and a pair of Bose 161 for my rear surround speakers. Not the best, I know I know...but they sound pretty good and get the job done. All my speakers were gifts too so :p. Haha...anyways....the Bose center channel is icky so I'm lookin for some guidance as to an affordable REALLY GOOD center channel speaker....a new sub wouldn't hurt either. THANKS!

2. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

With an attitude like that, you are not going to make many friends here. Its like you are thumbing your nose at us because you know how many of us feel about Bose but are daring us to write something negative about them. I have in the past but I refuse to now, that being said, Bose customer servive can tell you what center AND sub to use with your Bose speakers.

3. Keith S

Keith S Extra

Perhaps my post was taken in the wrong way. I didn't mean to come across like "Hey I have Bose, say something to me about it!" Not at all. The attitude you suspect is non exhistant in that post...I was saying "All my speakers were gifts too so :p" in a joking manner...I was making light of my unfortunate situation that I have Bose when I could have had something much better. I just know that Bose is frowned upon here, I don't feel all high and mighty about having it either. I came to this forum unaware of the differences in quality of all the speakers on the market. I gave in to the Bose name and thought it was quality. After doing some reading of the forums I've come to realize that Bose isn't all it's cracked up to be and am merely looking for some help from individuals like yourself, as to what direction I could head in for a better quality home theater system, not to start a conflict because I was coming across like a cocky Bose owner. I apologize that my post came across that way...so hopefully that clarifies that that's not the case.

4. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

So yes...it's true I have Bose! Haha ... Yeah that part kinda threw me, i'm also trying to quit smoking so i'm even more of an a**hole than normal. I.M.O. though, I would "regift"the Bose that you have and start from scratch. The object is to have speakers that are voiced, or have the same tonal quality. There are as many opinions as there are members here but Ihear great things from the SBS-01 5.1 setup w/sub for $999 here on this forums start page.

5. Keith S

Keith S Extra

Yeah sorry, after rereading my post, I see how it could come across like that. It was more of a laughing at myself like "haha, sucks that I have Bose" kinda thing....Definitely didn't mean to come across the way it seemed.

We actually have 2 rooms for HT setups, so I may just put the Bose in the room I don't use so much. Haha. Thanks for your input as well. I was actually just looking at the SVS site just before you mentioned it....may be something I'm going to have to really look into. THANKS!

6. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

Not a problem, Audioholics did a favorable review of the SBS recently. One of these days i'll learn how to post a link but it is in the top right hand corner of the home page here.

7. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Keith: I think sonically-speaking, JBL, Boston Acoustics, Polk Audio, and Athena are sort of close matches for Bose's speakers.

8. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Take that back!

Seriously, get a third of what you have for mains for the best match. Would probably require you to epoxy on some bucking magnets to help sheild them if using a CRT.

9. Keith S

Keith S Extra

I think so far I might be leaning mostly towards the SBS setup as mylan suggested.

As Colin mentioned, I'll actually be mounting any additional or new speakers about 3-4 feet away from my monitor so there shouldn't be any problems there.

I'm liking the size and said performance of the SBS 5.1 setup...

Although I may have to save some $$$ and go for a new monitor first....oh decisions decisions...

10. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

BTW: just in case you're willing to experiment [​IMG] :

At J&R, they are selling a large Cerwin-Vega center channel-dual 6.5" woofers plus a soft-dome tweeter & weighing 27lbs--for only $99 (it's not on sale either). This particular series of CV should also match decently with your Bose 301s. CV also makes a cherry version.

I just got off the phone with them asking about this loooooow price & they just said something to the effect they bought a lot of them and could discount them a lot. My personal opinion? I think since small speakers are "in" now, this and other large centers just aren't very popular, despite the fact that the center speaker carries so much of a movie's important information. And like me, if you have your 5.1 system set up mainly for surround *music* playback (which seems to work great for movies too IMO), a larger center is a positive thing because so many surround mixes are placing nearly-full-range bass there & even if you have it crossed over at the standard 80Hz, a larger speaker will still sound more realistic.

Though I'll admit the CV's "mouth" doesn't exactly help to make it the most attractive center to look at, so that might be affecting its popularity too.

FYI: I've been researching large centers lately, because I'm for sure getting $416 back on my tax return (donated my car), so I'm either going to buy a larger center + that PartsExpress 12" sub........or a new Panasonic "Tau" series TV. I would like to buy this 3-way Infinity Beta C360 I've been yakking about the past year and a half, but I would have to build a custom stand for it-it weighs 35lbs!-if I wanted it above my TV-that way it would be horizontally even with my front mains.

11. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

[​IMG]

12. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

One thing to remember, SVS (as the sub company is known) is not known for a small sub. I think the PS-10 that comes with the SBS-01 is about a 25" cube. From what i've read it will kick my little Velodyne HGS 10, which cost three times as much, all over the place.

13. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

The SVS PB-10 is a little freak.....I love mine.

14. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

I stand corrected, PB-10! Hi, whats up AlanZ. Long time, no hear. I've cruised on in to your maggie thread from time to time though. I'd love to hear your little freak sometime, send me a P.M., ya know anybody that wants a Velodyne?

15. Keith S

Keith S Extra

You guys are gonna end up really sealing the deal on the SVS system! Haha....I guess there's only good things to say about it. Now I just need to save some pennies!

16. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

You can't go wrong with that Cerwin Vega center speaker. You might think I'm biased since I own one. [​IMG]

17. mark tu

mark tu Extra

Dump the 161's and use the 301's for the rears - then get matching left, right and center - I'm a Klipsch fan and that's how my system is set up (Klipsch fronts and Bose 301's side and rear), but pick something you like. I just like the blend of the Klipsch (sound brighter to me) and Bose (sound smoother to me) - everyone who has heard the way mine is set up loves the sound and that's what counts - not the name on the speaker....
    Just my 2 cents...
    Mark