Good center channel to go with KLH 9250B fronts?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Mark Riley, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Mark Riley

Mark Riley Agent

I've decided on getting a center speaker first rather than worrying about a subwoofer so I need a certain kind to get. Since it's going with those KLH speakers which are pretty cheap, I figure I don't need to spend much on the center. Anyone have any ideas?

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

mark - good call on going for the center speaker first. you'll definitely get more out of your ht that way.

the klh (as you noted) are pretty inexpensive. i really feel that just about any basic center speaker will be a nice match (and if you stay with a decent brand), a step-up in performance.

go with a good brand (jbl, klipsch, yamaha, sony, etc) -- figure about 150 bucks or so. did you get the klh's at best buy? if so, they have a decent sony center channel - it's about 100 bucks.

hope that helps...

3. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

I think it's best to try to mate the fronts to the center, though not essential. The idea here is to find out which tweeters your fronts use, call the company and ask for the center with the match. This, of course, as noted, is not necessary, but if you're planning to upgrade the fronts later (and I think you might), you may want to think about getting a center from a company that you may want to upgrade the fronts to. Does that make sense? Otherwise, do as Ted says, and get a little sub for now, like the so called "Tiny Mighty" and enjoy! Than upgrade everything later. Enjoy!

4. MikeDuke

MikeDuke Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Ted. Good move on the center. Another brand might be Definitive Technology $199 may be high but it is just a thought.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

good point..i thought about, but forgot to comment on that.

imo, the center speaker is the most important. if you want to, buy a nice center speaker now (obviously you'll pay a little more), but that way, when you finally upgrade the rest of you gear, your center speaker will already be ready.

think infinity, polk audio, def-tech, paradigm...stuff like that.

6. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

Love my JBL EC35 for $150!

7. MikeDuke

I would second what Jose said. Find the best center you can. Do this from a company that you like. That way when you upgrade, you can stick to the same brand the center is.

8. Mark Riley

Mark Riley Agent

I'm not sure what I really like for a company but I've narrowed it down to 2 that I gotta test out. Sony SSCN550H and Athena AS-C1 are the two. The Athena seems to get slightly better ratings even though they are both great. The Athena costs more but it isn't a big enough difference to make or break my decision. Anyone have any experience or know anything about these two?

9. MikeDuke

I have not heard them, but I would go with Athena. It is most likely better quality as I have heard good things about them as well. But to find what you like, just listen to as much as you can.

10. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

A LOT of people thing Athean puts out a weak Center. Certainly not on par with their mains or surrounds.

11. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

obviously you've been shopping at bb. i work there and am familiar with both brands.

athena is a subsidiary of energy speakers - which is a very well respected company.

the athenas are great speakers. while i haven't really compared them to their mains, i am quite confident that they are a better speaker then the sony.

12. MikeDuke

Again I have not heard the Athena, but I guess that the would be better than the sony. I think thaey have had several good reviews.

13. Alan Wise

Alan Wise Stunt Coordinator

Mark,

Why not just use a KLH bookshelf speaker as your center (turned on it's side). This way you get the proper timbre match and keep the cost low. Put the savings in the bank towards your next upgrade.

Good Luck, Al. Wise

14. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

actually alan, i wouldn't do that.

1. (no offense to klh), but they don't make a very good speaker. mark would be doing himself a disservice by getting a klh center. i like the idea of him upgrading much much better. of course, if klh is all he can get, then it's still better then no center speaker.

2. putting a speaker on its side is not a good idea. it changes the dispersion (sp?) pattern.