Good CD-RW drive and video card for under $200 ea?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Real Name
Clint
*Search function was down*

I just bought a new e-machines PC (T2240) and I want to make a couple minor upgrades to it.

The motherboard is an IM845GL with a 2.2GHz pentium celeron processor with 400MHz system bus with integrated 256K L2 cache, 128M RAM, Intel 82845GL graphics memory controller hub (350MHz RAMDAC), 3D Intel Extreme Graphics AGP, and a 40gig hd.

It came with a cd-rom but I want to add a cd-rw drive. There's a fullsize empty bay where I can add it as a slave drive or get an external model. What's a good model to pick up for under $200?

Also, I'm going to add more ram (most likely take it up to at least 512k, if not 1 full gig) and I want to add an aftermarket video card. Everything is integrated on the motherboard and I only have two PCI expansion slots available so it will have to be a PCI card. I'm looking for something with at least 64M onboard ram, but prefer 128M. Any suggestions on a good video card for under $200 as well? (I'd take the Diamond Viper II card from my old pc, but it's an AGP card and I have no place for it.)

Thanks in advance.

John*Jones

Stunt Coordinator
internal cd-rw drives are well below $200 these days. the Lite On 52x24x52 CDRW Model LTR-52246S is quite popular it's going for $47 at newegg.com.

i don't have any ideas about a pci video cards...but i'm sure someone else can help.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
The 48x16x48 Lite-on CDRWs or the 52x24x52 ones go for about $20 after rebate if you grab it at your local Officemax/Depot, Staples, Best Buy, etc. Best deal you can get on a CDRW.

For video cards, the additional 64M of video memory often makes very little difference right now, especially as a PCI card, if they even make a 128MB PCI card.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
3D Intel Extreme Graphics AGP
Just making sure but this doesn't mean your mobo comes with an AGP slot? If it really is integrated make sure you disable it in your bios after installing the new card.

Another vote for the 48x Lite-On. This is the one I have and is supposedly much quieter than its 52x brother.

PS- Just curious but what types of games do you plan on playing with your rig?

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
l3randon39