1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Good CD-RW drive and video card for under $200 ea?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Clinton McClure, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    *Search function was down*

I just bought a new e-machines PC (T2240) and I want to make a couple minor upgrades to it.

The motherboard is an IM845GL with a 2.2GHz pentium celeron processor with 400MHz system bus with integrated 256K L2 cache, 128M RAM, Intel 82845GL graphics memory controller hub (350MHz RAMDAC), 3D Intel Extreme Graphics AGP, and a 40gig hd.

It came with a cd-rom but I want to add a cd-rw drive. There's a fullsize empty bay where I can add it as a slave drive or get an external model. What's a good model to pick up for under $200?

Also, I'm going to add more ram (most likely take it up to at least 512k, if not 1 full gig) and I want to add an aftermarket video card. Everything is integrated on the motherboard and I only have two PCI expansion slots available so it will have to be a PCI card. I'm looking for something with at least 64M onboard ram, but prefer 128M. Any suggestions on a good video card for under $200 as well? (I'd take the Diamond Viper II card from my old pc, but it's an AGP card and I have no place for it.)

Thanks in advance.

2. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

3. John*Jones

John*Jones Stunt Coordinator

internal cd-rw drives are well below $200 these days. the Lite On 52x24x52 CDRW Model LTR-52246S is quite popular it's going for $47 at newegg.com.

i don't have any ideas about a pci video cards...but i'm sure someone else can help.

4. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

The 48x16x48 Lite-on CDRWs or the 52x24x52 ones go for about $20 after rebate if you grab it at your local Officemax/Depot, Staples, Best Buy, etc. Best deal you can get on a CDRW.

For video cards, the additional 64M of video memory often makes very little difference right now, especially as a PCI card, if they even make a 128MB PCI card.

5. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Thanks for the answers fellas! [​IMG]

6. Scott L

Scott L Producer