Good Car Speakers For 100-200 Dollars

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brett Hancock, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Brett Hancock

Brett Hancock Supporting Actor

I was wondering what are some good 6-1/2" Car Speakers in the price range of 100-200 dollars. I am currently considering the Polk Dx Speakers. Any comments on these or suggestion on others would be appreciated. Thanks

2. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

from ears ago I remembering one of the car audio mags bought a set of MB Quartz Co-axials and carefully cut out the tweeter.

Not sure of the cost, but you may find them for a good price.

Brent L

3. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

I like British sound better. I tried Polk but I uninstalled it immediately and bought Clarion. I've tried Blaupunkt, Panasonic, Sony, Boston Acoustics, Infinity and still go back to Clarion.

Just my opinion.

4. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

not a big polk fan, had some 6.5's, didn't like them.

Image Dynamics makes a nice coax, have some in my car now and really like them.

5. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    I always like Infinity speakers. The only Polk car speaker I ever bought was a Polk DB sub in a small sealed box. Even though it took a lot of power, that sub had some of the tightest and most accurate bass I've ever heard in a car sub.

6. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I like the sound of Infinity's too. The new Kappa line looks to be of great quality (but no, I haven't heard em yet [​IMG]). I have 4 Inf references and a 10" Kappa sub.
    If you want to go better look at the brands they don't sell at Best Buy like MB Quart, Focal, Dynaudio, etc... At your price range check out eBay. They do sell new stuff as well as used.
    I see you posted a link from Crutchfield. Although they're customer service is simply the best that's out there, they sell just about everything at retail. Here's where I usually buy my things for much less:
    www.zebaudio.com
    www.carmedia1.com
    www.sounddomain.com (best selection & does price matching)
    www.theautophile.com (just for fun)

7. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

I'll recommend Infinity Kappas. I have the 2001 models (green) of the 63.1's, 32.1's, and 693.1's and they sound outstanding.

I'm not 100% sure on those model #'s though (I have 1 pair each of: 3.5" 2-way, 6.5" 3-way, 6x9" 3-way)

8. Chris Bedard

Chris Bedard Stunt Coordinator

I also recommend Infinity Kappa's. I'm currently running their 6.02CSe Kappa Separates in my car.

9. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

dollar for dollar I'd take the image dynamics over the kappas [​IMG]
    not big on MB Quart either, I'd go focal or diamond if I could though

10. Brett Hancock

Brett Hancock Supporting Actor

Thanks for the tips guys. After checking out some of those websites that Scott recommended I've decided to go with the Infinity 62.3i's or some other 6 1/2 Infinitys. Thanks for the recommendations.

11. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

" MB Quartz"

you can tell it's been a while EH!

12. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

You're not going to go wrong with Infinity Kappas or MB Ouarts.

You might want to also look into Cliff Design (good bass response) and KEF speakers.

Both may be a little expensive but may be able to be found in your range.

Good luck,

Brian

13. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

MMM...Focal! They sound so SWEET! Here is a link to a pretty cheap place to get them. I have a pair of them in my Truck and they sound so incredible I can't recomend them enough. I auditioned the MB Quarts and Boston Accoutics when I was preparing to buy and the Focals were so much nicer. IMO.
    Nick L

14. Michael_UK

Michael_UK Stunt Coordinator

Are just dropping them into factory location or building some fiberglass kickpanels?

I love the sound of Infinity Kappa Perfect Subwoofers, I own the Perfect 10 and it sounds very tight and performs great on the low bass.