What's new

Good Bye Yellow Brick Road (1 Viewer)

Chris_Eff

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up GBYBR yesterday and BB and it sound great. I only manged to make it through the first disk but I was impressed. I have to say that so far all the songs sound as good as the demo on the RS500 SACD promo but the singles off the album (GBYBR, Benie & Jets, Candle in the Wind) seemed to sound the best. I was amazed at CITW as I had never noticed the accoustic rythim guitar in the song that comes through great in the MC mix.

I happend to be at 2 BB here in Columbus and they both had the bonus dvd edition and non dvd edition for 27.99. I questioned a worker as to what was the real prices as I knew the DVD one was more expensive. He looked up the prices in the computer and they both came up 27.99. I told him that that should not be but he said the reason they where expensive was that they where SACD :rolleyes. I put the copies back not knowing if the two disk was overpriced or the DVD edition underpriced. I then looked up the price back at the office and the DVD was usually $40 and the 2 disk $30. I picked up the DVD edition on the way home for $28 at the BB by my house.

Since the price was in the computer it might be a mistake in all stores. Also one store had the disks in the SACD section the other in the Elton John normal CD section.

Chris Elm

Stunt Coordinator
That's great. My local BB didn't have this disc in the SACD or regular cd section. I was so upset!
I went in for two things yesterday, and they didn't have either of them. They also didn't have the Return of the King soundtrack. :thumbsdown:

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Best Buy has a ton where I'm at, but I can't figure what their price is on it. I haven't picked it up yet since it seems that regular price is @$30, and I have to conserve funds for holidays and a slew of birthdays.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Since the price was in the computer it might be a mistake in all stores. Also one store had the disks in the SACD section the other in the Elton John normal CD section.
At my BB (Albuquerque) the SACD and the SACD+DVD both came up at $27.99, just like you observed. I bought the version with the DVD.

They were all piled in the SACD/DVD-A section. I did not check the regular CD or DVD Music areas.

BGL

Chris Elm

Stunt Coordinator
I managed to find it at another BB about half an hour from here. I got the last two copies of the version with DVD. From what I've heard, the mix sounds great.

Be careful with those hubs though, these are Crest kids!!!

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
Is there any difference between the two other than one has the "Making of..." DVD? AcousticSounds has the SACD only version for $25 and the SACD / DVD for $35.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
....the Busted Buy in my burg doesn't have either edition in any section, CD or SACD.:rolleyes:I mail-ordered a copy. It'll be here soon.

cwhite

Second Unit
It sounds very good to these ears which have been accustomed to hearing the album in its vinyl form(which I still have) and
the redbook CD edition has been exiled to the car stereo collection.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
If you love aggressive surround mixes then GBYBR is for you.

I love it!

GBYBR is one of my all-time favs and the surround mix adds layers to the music that were only hinted at before.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
The BB by me apparently only had the version w/o the DVD (there was nothing about the DVD on the packaging). It was in the CD area, not the SACD area. Online I will go.

Doug

Scott Kriefall

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
the Busted Buy in my burg doesn't have either edition in any section, CD or SACD
It's the same here in Minnesota. Despite being the home of Best Buy's corporate headquarters, many of the stores in this area do a terrible job of stocking shelves -- particularly in the SACD/DVD-A section.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Ah, the BB by my office has both (had to drive through a short blizzard to get there!). $27.99 with the DVD is sweet.

Doug

Chris Elm

Stunt Coordinator
I have to say I really like the surround mix on this.
Also, although my family has most of the Elton albums, I have never payed any attention to them, because I usually just listen to the greatest hits albums that we own. I am enjoying all the new songs I have never heard before.
My dad said this was his favorite album growing up, and I can see why.:emoji_thumbsup:

I have heard good things about the Queen A Night At the Opera disc on DVD-A. This discovery of new songs might cause me to pick that disc up as well.

P.S. I went ahead and moved the discs into sepearate jewel cases to escape from the death grip of those hubs

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Interesting, when I opened up my package from BB, there was a blank hub where the DVD was supposed to be. Had to exchange for a new one the next day. In the interim, the fact that both versions had the same price at BB was starting to make sense :) .

I went ahead and moved the discs into sepearate jewel cases to escape from the death grip of those hubs
If one typically views these hubs as the hubs from hell, then the ones in the GYBR package are from the deepest, darkest, hottest part of hell.

Doug

Todd Schnell

Second Unit

Chris I just added a DVD-A player to my set-up about a month ago (had SACD for a while already). This is the first DVD-A title I went looking for. Definitely among my favorite Queen records. The surround mix on this one is on the aggressive side, & very well done imo. Go for it! Only negative is no hi-rez stereo track is included. Not to get too off topic, but other than Bohemian Rhapsody, Death on Two Legs (the opener on here) is one of my favorite Queen songs. Some other good tunes on here as well.

On the topic at hand, I am not a huge Elton fan, but do dig some of his tunes. Most of them on this record. That said I may pick up GBYBR myself.

Todd

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Just picked this up today at the BB in Alpharetta, GA...sure enough, $27.99 for the DVD version! Now, I just have to check to see if the DVD's in there.

CarlP

Agent
I picked up the DVD version for $28 as well. My disc was not locked in place, therefore many transit scratches. When I return the set, I may get the SACD version only. I find it insulting that the included DVD is an EDIT! 40 minutes shorter!
Kind of tacky in my mind...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks