What's new

Good budget speaker for HK 500 (1 Viewer)

Victor Y

Agent
I am new to the home theater stuff and already spent a good chunk of money on 34" 16:9 Sampo, Zenith DTV1080, progressive scan DVD and a lot of DVDs.

I just purchased the HK AVR 500 from ubid and need to buy some speakers to finish my setup. Unfortunately, I already exceed my initial budget and do not want to spend too much on the speaker. I use a pair of self amplified bose roomates speaker for last 15 years to listen to all my CD, so obviously my ears is not that well-trained. I am looking at JBL HT speakers set NSP1 or SCS135 at around $300 to finish my setup. I prefered the NSP1 but the center channel is too wide or too tall - I only have 3.4" room(height) above my TV and 18.5"(width) on cabinet below my TV. What should I do? Will I be happy with SCS135 or what's other option I should consider?

Victor Y

Agent
After I type this post, I found JBL SCS 125a selling at Ubid for $29:D dollars. I bought 1 out of the 4 sets available and the whole lot sold out within 15 minuates after I bought mine. I know the center channel and the subwoofer is not that great but for a starter set - IT'S A GREAT DEAL!! I cannot pass it up. My lucky day!

MarkO

Second Unit
I would recomend you wait till you can get what you really want. Speakers are the first area you shouldent skimp on.

Victor Y

Agent
MarkO, This great deal of U-bid will give me time to save some money to buy better speakers down the road. I can buy a new sub, new center or new front speaker as I learn more about HT stuff. In the mean time the scs-125a is not that bad, I almost bought the scs-135 before I come across this great deal. For a newbie, I am sure I can enjoy my setup for a while before the upgrade bug hit me.

DonJ

Second Unit
I'm not sure what you mean by budget my I use my H/K 320 to power my Paradigm Monitors, They soud as if they where made for each other.

Monitor 9

CC370

Mini monitor

PS1000

Victor Y

Agent
ColinM, for $29 + $35 shipping & handling charge, I bought the JBL scs-125a which is the previous model of scs-135. It include five satelite speakers rated 10-50W and a subwoofer rated 75W. It's is a refurbished product so I do not know it will come with all the gadgets or not. The original package come with speaker wires, 4 wall mounts and a stand for the center channel. I have to double check with all the review on the net and read all the fine prints before I bought it. I know it just sounds too good to be true.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks