Good budget speaker for HK 500

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Victor Y, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Victor Y

Victor Y Agent

I am new to the home theater stuff and already spent a good chunk of money on 34" 16:9 Sampo, Zenith DTV1080, progressive scan DVD and a lot of DVDs.

I just purchased the HK AVR 500 from ubid and need to buy some speakers to finish my setup. Unfortunately, I already exceed my initial budget and do not want to spend too much on the speaker. I use a pair of self amplified bose roomates speaker for last 15 years to listen to all my CD, so obviously my ears is not that well-trained. I am looking at JBL HT speakers set NSP1 or SCS135 at around $300 to finish my setup. I prefered the NSP1 but the center channel is too wide or too tall - I only have 3.4" room(height) above my TV and 18.5"(width) on cabinet below my TV. What should I do? Will I be happy with SCS135 or what's other option I should consider?

2. Victor Y

Victor Y Agent

After I type this post, I found JBL SCS 125a selling at Ubid for $29[​IMG] dollars. I bought 1 out of the 4 sets available and the whole lot sold out within 15 minuates after I bought mine. I know the center channel and the subwoofer is not that great but for a starter set - IT'S A GREAT DEAL!! I cannot pass it up. My lucky day!

3. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

I would recomend you wait till you can get what you really want. Speakers are the first area you shouldent skimp on.

4. Victor Y

Victor Y Agent

MarkO, This great deal of U-bid will give me time to save some money to buy better speakers down the road. I can buy a new sub, new center or new front speaker as I learn more about HT stuff. In the mean time the scs-125a is not that bad, I almost bought the scs-135 before I come across this great deal. For a newbie, I am sure I can enjoy my setup for a while before the upgrade bug hit me.

5. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Are you positive you got a pair?

- C

6. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

I'm not sure what you mean by budget my I use my H/K 320 to power my Paradigm Monitors, They soud as if they where made for each other.

Monitor 9

CC370

Mini monitor

PS1000

7. Victor Y

Victor Y Agent

ColinM, for $29 + $35 shipping & handling charge, I bought the JBL scs-125a which is the previous model of scs-135. It include five satelite speakers rated 10-50W and a subwoofer rated 75W. It's is a refurbished product so I do not know it will come with all the gadgets or not. The original package come with speaker wires, 4 wall mounts and a stand for the center channel. I have to double check with all the review on the net and read all the fine prints before I bought it. I know it just sounds too good to be true.