Good budget reciever to match with Axiom's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by myles mckiernan, Nov 24, 2002.

1. myles mckiernan

myles mckiernan Auditioning

Any suggestions on a good budget receiver ($300) to match up with Axiom M3's and vp100 center for 5.1 set up?

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I would look at the Pioneer VSX-D811S. It has a great reputation around here, and can be found as low as $300 shipped online through yahoo shopping. It supports all of the current sound formats, including DTS-ES, DD-EX, DPLII, and NEO:6. It's also very future-proof, offering 7.1 speaker setup options, 7 channel inputs and full pre-outs. In my opinion, it's the best receiver for under $500. Other notables are the Denon 1803 and the Panasonic HE200, but i doubt you could find either of those for $300. Either way, the D811S is a real winner.

Hope this helps.

3. myles mckiernan

myles mckiernan Auditioning

Thanks- I was considering either the Panasonic HE100 or the Harmon Kardon AVR125. The panasonic has more features, more power, and is about $50 cheaper online but I wasn't sure of its sound quality (I think it has 196/24 DACs if that matters) and how it might match up with my speakers. On the other hand, the H/K has a good reputation and good sound quality and enough of the features that I need...

Can anyone steer me in the right direction here?

4. DanielN

DanielN Stunt Coordinator

I have a Pioneer 811 with M1's, VP50, and QS2's and I couldnt be happier.

5. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

I second Pioneer as the best receiver under $300,

But I would consider savin a little more and get DENON 1803 or maybe check the clearences of Harman Kardon AVR320 or AVR520.

Hope this helps,
    Pablo

6. Dennis Sanders

Dennis Sanders Auditioning

I just bought the HK 125 and couldn't be happier. The sound quality is outstanding for both music and movies, and there is more than enough power to shake the walls. I know the pioneers are a popular choice, but I love the 125.

7. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

I second the Denon 1803. I think that Denons mate quite well with Axioms.

8. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

Axioms sound best on any of the high current type of receivers but I do really like the combination of Axiom and Harman Kardon best.

9. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

Very happy with the Panasonic SAHE100, myself. Great features, wonderful sound quality.

10. Lyden

Lyden Stunt Coordinator

i say pioneer, but what ever you're ears like is the only really good opinion.. [​IMG]