What's new

Good Boys (2019)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Title: Good Boys

Tagline: How F'd Can One Day Get?

Genre: Comedy

Director: Gene Stupnitsky

Cast: Jacob Tremblay, Molly Gordon, Will Forte, Retta, LilRel Howery, Millie Davis, Midori Francis, Enid-Raye Adams, Brady Noon, Chance Hurstfield, Keith L. Williams, Vanessa Przada, Josh Caras, Lina Renna, Benita Ha, Maja Aro, Matt Ellis, Jaiven Natt, Sean Quan, Vicky Lambert, Esabella Anna Karena Strickland, Izaac Wang, Nevis Unipan, Christian Darrel Scott, Jocelyne Gaumond, Nolen Dubuc, Aaron Paul Stewart, James Hibbard, Craig Haas, Ian Hawes, Kane Nelson, Jaron Melanson, Cody Davis, Andrew Anderson, Everett Adams, Marlee Grace Becker, Jonah Peacock, Vanessa Young, Haven Rockwell O'Sullivan, Rian McCririck

Release: 2019-07-18

Runtime: 95

Plot: A group of young boys on the cusp of becoming teenagers embark on an epic quest in the San Fernando Valley to fix their broken toy before their parents get home.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
"Good Boys" pretty much delivers what its trailers offer up. I laughed a lot with "the Beanbag Boys" in this movie.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I tend to not really watch trailers all that intently these days (i.e. surf on my phone while the trailers play), so I still enjoyed my A-List selection for the night. I wanted some juvenile laughs and got some laughs.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I tend to not really watch trailers all that intently these days (i.e. surf on my phone while the trailers play), so I still enjoyed my A-List selection for the night. I wanted some juvenile laughs and got some laughs.
I saw Once Upon A Time In Hollywood a ton of times and the Good Boys trailer was on it so I just kept seeing it over and over. I probably should have pulled your move and just used my phone.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Surprise #1 at the box office

Deadline

Universal’s Good Boys is headed for a surprise opening of $20M. Industry estimates have it there after what is expected to be an $8M Friday.

If these projections maintain, Good Boys will rep the biggest comedy opening of the year with Universal boasting the the biggest comedy openings of the past three years following last September’s Night School and 2017’s Girls Trip. Good Boys is also poised to be the first R-rated comedy at No. 1 since Uni opened The Boss back in April 2016. Nobody does comedy nowadays better than Universal. The numbers speak for themselves.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed it a lot. Right mix of age-appropriate innocence and "Holy shit I can't believe they just did that" humor.

I damn near peed myself laughing when:
Thor is successfully Froggered his way across the interstate and then went back for the beer, causing a massive pileup in the process.

Molly Gordon and Midori Francis were fun as the two teenagers trying to get their drugs back.

The brutal social dynamics of sixth grade felt right, as did the fact that all of the girls were at least half a foot taller than the boys. The girl that Max was crushing on played Alison's daughter on "Orphan Black".

The adult supporting roles all had way better comedic actors than the parts required: Will Forte as Max's dad, Lil Rel Howery as Lucas's dad, Retta as Lucas' mom, Michaela Watkins as the drone saleswoman, Sam Richardson as the police officer at the convenience store, and Stephen Merchant as Claude as the creepy playing card aficionado.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Saw this with the wife today because we are both usually fans of anything with Seth Rogen's name on it.

To our surprise, we were disappointed. As some have pointed out, the trailer has all the laughs. This movie is confused, it doesn't know if it wants to be a raunchy comedy or a coming of age movie, or Stranger Things. Granted, confusion is what life as a 12 year old is often like, but for the most part, we were bored.

C+

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Saw this with the wife today because we are both usually fans of anything with Seth Rogen's name on it.

To our surprise, we were disappointed. As some have pointed out, the trailer has all the laughs. This movie is confused, it doesn't know if it wants to be a raunchy comedy or a coming of age movie, or Stranger Things. Granted, confusion is what life as a 12 year old is often like, but for the most part, we were bored.

C+
I agree with this. It had it's funny moments, but more misfires than hits. Nearly all of the best gags were in the redband trailer.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

C+

I'm glad it wasn't just a raunchy comedy.

It's not as raunchy as the trailers imply - basically every "dirty" moment is in various trailers - and the sweetness at its core comes as a relief.

I don't want 90 minutes of 11-year-olds engaging in puerile activities. The movie balanced the raunch with charm.

It's not as funny as expected - again, basically all the jokes are in the trailers - but it's more enjoyable...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This will be the second movie I see this week as I meant to see it earlier, but have been concentrating on seeing movies at home.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Good Boys has the same structure as Superbad and Booksmart but is much funnier and sweeter and yet even raunchier that those two combined. What sells this movie is the inherent wholesomeness of the boys the movie centers around. They're woke kids who are reflexively pro-consent, anti-bullying, and anti-drugs. But the world around them is not as wholesome, and the juxtaposition of that with their naivete make for constant laughs. I assumed this would be one of those movies where the humor derives from little kids saying bad things. But it's not that at all. Don't get me wrong, it's raunchy and totally inappropriate, but the laughs are much more than just potty mouthed transgressions. This movie surprised me and had me frequently laughing out loud. I absolutely loved it.

FYI, it is NOT for kids. I mean, it is raunchy as hell.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
FYI, it is NOT for kids. I mean, it is raunchy as hell.

I noticed that the BD cover shows the rating in large print. I think that's there to sell it to people who want a raunchy comedy but it's also there to warn parents not to buy it for kids!

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks