What's new

Good bookshelf speakers for music? (1 Viewer)

Hi -
I want to buy a pair of bookshelf speakers that will actually reside on a bookshelf. I cannot bring the speakers out into the room, so I need suggestions for speakers that will sound great even when limited to such a confined environment. I would like to have a frequency response that ranges from about 50Hz to at least 20KHz.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
If you are looking for something with that kind of bass response you may want to look at Vienna Haydn's. www.sumikoaudio.com. There are lots of excellent bookshelf speakers but many may not go down that low.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
So you are looking at something that has front ports. Try looking at the Axiom M3, ACI Emerald, Swan Diva 2.1, Paradigm Titan, and Ascend Acoustics CBM-170.

Michael BC

Auditioning
The KEF Q15.2 is a front ported model that goes down to 50Hz. I have the original Q15's and love 'em. Q15.2's can be had for approximately $300.

JerryW

Supporting Actor
I want to throw in a recommendation for the Infinity IL10 bookshelves. Sweetest sounding bookshelf I've ever heard for under $1K. $400 /pr is the going rate for them at CC and Crutchfield. They can be had for $319 at www.world-exchange.com , but they're out of stock on them until mid Sept.
------------------
"But you have to remember that a worm, with very few exceptions, is not a human being." - Freddy

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There are lots of excellent bookshelf speakers but many may not go down that low.
Agreed. You will probably need something with an 8" driver to do 50Hz effectively. Speakers with 6 1/2" drivers
that can do 50Hz well are few, and tend to not be inexpensive.
Paradigm Titans do not have front ports. The Monitor 3 does, though it is an 8" speaker with a decent size enclosure. Both are excellent speakers in their price categories (as are all Paradigms, IMO). Titans will cover to 60Hz (roll off completely @ 55Hz). The Monitor 3 will go to 54Hz (roll off @ 36Hz).
NHT's new lineup are not bad also. The SB3 is quite a performer, with a claimed 39Hz. Very good tweeter, extremely accurate speakers overall, but the price put me off a little.($600/pr) These are also sealed speakers, so the bass response is very tight, but not extremely deep sounding.
The KEF Qs are wonderful. Though I am not sure of the frequency response, they have great imaging and very good bass for their size. I would recommend these, as well as say take a good look at B&W.
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

Randy G

Second Unit
Darren,
I would have to agree with John on his recommendation of the NHTs. The NHT SB2(tad smaller than SB3) is small, sealed(no rear port problems on a bookshelf), shielded, rated to 51hz, has a GORGEOUS black laquer finish with rounded edges, and lists for $400 although I can get them for $320.
BTW, those ACI Emeralds that somebody mentioned ARE rear ported, although you can stuff the ports.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Another Paradigm speaker to consider is the Mini-Monitor. Many people have been pleased with the sound of these speakers, myself included.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
quote: GORGEOUS black laquer finish with rounded edges,[/quote]
Some of the nicest enclosures I've seen! Piano lacquer looks GREAT! The SB2 didn't quite have quite enough bass for me (doesn't feel like 51Hz), but they do sound great! Teamed with a sub, the SB2 and the SB3 are serious contenders. $320? That's a good price, special deal, inside connections? I may contact them directly, they are in my local area.
I didn't mention Mini-monitors because they are also rear ported, but they are sweet too. Best bang for the buck, IMO.
[Edited last by John Garcia on August 17, 2001 at 11:29 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks