Good basic CD player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Brown, Sep 29, 2002.

1. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Stunt Coordinator

-
    Currently I either use my Computer or my Laserdisc player to play my CD’s, but more often than not, I use my laserdisc player. Reason is that although my HTPC makes a great DVD player, I like to listen to music while I’m doing other things on the computer, which makes using the computer as my CD player difficult. My laserdisc player works great as a CD player, but being that it is hard to replace, I don’t want to wear it out by playing CD’s. It’s difficult for me to spend a lot of money just to be able to do something I can already do… so I’m looking for a simple, cheap, CD player. My only requirements is that it has digital out for playing DTS music CD’s.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Price range? Single or changer?

I'm not sure if digital out guarantees DTS capability.

Sony makes acceptable, cheap CD players in both single and changer. The really cheap ones do not include a remote, but can be operated by Sony remotes for other Sony devices that have the CD remote codes.

What you may actually want to look for is a basic DVD player, as they are as cheap or cheaper than CD players right now. The Panasonic RV32 can be had for right around $100 these days, and it can handle CD, R-RW, MP3, etc... as well as DTS CDs.

3. joe rizzuto

joe rizzuto Stunt Coordinator

i just 'won' a pioneer changer (25 cd's) on ebay for $30 canadian. that's pretty cheap. they have lots there to choose from also. just a suggestion...
    [​IMG]

4. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Stunt Coordinator

-
    Yeah... i'm actually embarrassed to admit my price range. This is a crappy hobby to have when you're broke [​IMG]

5. John Garcia

John
    Where are you in the Bay Area? (assuming Northern SF BA, not Southern Ca.) I am often able to find some good deals locally (always looking for a good deal). Trust me, I know what it's like to be broke in the Bay Area. Shoot my a private e-mail if you like.

6. Tyler DJW

Tyler DJW Stunt Coordinator

John,

I'm broke in the bay area!!! WHo isn't? Just curious where you go looking for deals in the Bay Area. I did speaker shopping a few months back but I've done everything else online. Any suggestions would be great.

I'd actually also be interested in a quality CD player too, single disc or carousel. Just looking for a deal before I buy.

Thanks

7. John Garcia

John
    The number one way I have found to find a great deal, is to just go into any store, especially with the economy the way it is, and ask about open box or demo units. Some places and some salespeople are more interested in this than others. I have managed to get some incredible deals this way, and for the most part, never had problems with the items.

I have some good contacts here and there at shops that I frequent.

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Here some good CD players for $300 or less:

* Sony SCD-CE775 SACD/CD changer: Getting tough to find now, but if you can find one, it should be $180-200. It's a capable CD player with stereo and multi-channel SACD as a bonus.

* Denon DCM-370 CD changer: No SACD here, but the '370 does sport HDCD decoding. It's a good player for around $250-300.

* Sony CDP-CA70ES CD changer: Also no SACD, but the 'CA70ES is a good CD changer. It retails for $300, but you should be able to get it for quite a bit less through authorized dealers like Oade Bros. (1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480), J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180), or OneCall (1-800-340-4770). The 'CA70ES comes with a five-year warranty.

The NAD C 521i single-disc CD player has gotten good reviews in the British hi-fi press, but I am not sure if it can be bought for $300. Check Sound City (1-800-370-3156), and authorized NAD dealer that discounts.