Good bags for books and gadgets?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Eric_E, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Eric_E

Eric_E Supporting Actor

Hi everyone,

I'm sure many of you, like myself, are gadget aficionados. I carry a Creative Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra and a GameBoy Advance SP to and from work every day, each in its own protective pouch and carried in a messenger-style bookbag. But in a few weeks I think there may be a third child to carry around - a Canon Wordtank.

I'm going back to grad school next month, and I'm planning on buying a better bag for my books and gadgets. I was hoping to find something that would let me securely tote my gadgets without carrying around multiple cases within my bag as I'm doing now. Does anyone know of a good bag that has room for books and things with separate secure compartments for personal electronics and things?

I don't even know where to start to look for such a thing, so I'm interested to see if anybody has any suggestions for products or stores that might be a good fit. I don't have many criteria, other than that I'd prefer a messenger-style format, but I'd also consider a backpack. Some kind of crush-resistant pockets or compartments would be nice. I'm sure I could do without the GBA, but the Zen and Wordtank will be with me every single day, no exceptions. So I'd like to be able to carry at least those. And I'd like to keep it under $100 if possible.

Anyway, I'm interested to see if anyone has any suggestions or what everyone is doing in a similar situation (I'm sure there are others in the same boat).

Thanks!

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i've seen the messenger style at lots of places, including the big chains like banana republic, gap, eddie bauer, etc.

or, you could try a sporting place like rei? or maybe an online catalog like ll bean???

i have an inexpensive one i got somewhere...but can't remember where. it has lots of zippered or velcroed compartments. i can put my phone, ipaq, wallet, books and papers, money, cell-phone, pens, etc - each in it's own compartment. it's pretty nifty...but i don't use it much anymore.

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    GAP has new bags where you can buy attatchmens such as Cellphone holders, MP3 player holders, and laptop cases that are 'plug and play' with four different styles of their bags.

Pretty cool, as the 'core' bag with the laptop case (which is like a neoprene case with gel padding, about .75mm thick) is cheaper (and less obvious) than most laptop bags.

Also have a hole for headphones to thread through too.

4. James T

James T Screenwriter

I use a MKVII.
    I put my portable DVD player, AC adaptor, 3-4 DVD movies, flashlight, smokes and my tie(I'm suppose to wear it, but I take it off. It's in the bag just in case, higher ups pay a visit [​IMG])

5. Paul__A

Paul__A Extra

I use a bag similar in style to a MKVII, nice and simple. If that ever breaks, I think I'd build one from timbuk2 or get a crumpler bag. Both have enough available options for most gadgets.

timbuk2.com

crumplerusa.com

6. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

I'll 2nd REI for a look. I've bought a couple of laptop backpacks from them, both about $50.

7. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

You might want to try Waterfield Bags . They may be a bit on the pricey side, but they are very well constructed and very handy. And I can't say enough about the great customer service. I have two of them—the large Cargo and the Vertigo.

For a more funky approach, there's always Crumpler Bags . There are several internet retailers, including ebags .