good amps never go out of style...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JohnnyN, Feb 18, 2004.

1. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Stunt Coordinator

Just surfing through all the classifieds for used amps and I was thinking, does a good amp ever go out of style? I mean how much has amplifier design and construction changed over the years? The reason I ask is that I see some amps on the used market that had an MSRP of over 3 or 4 thousand when they first came out and can now be found for less than half or more of their original cost. I mean it's not like they sounded like a $4K amp before and now don't? If I were to plop down $4K for a brand new 2004 model monoblock or stereo amp, I'd expect it to be one great sounding piece of work, and in ten years, despite whatever new gadgest and gizmos are out, I'd still expect that the $4K amp that I bought today to still sound great, right? So shouldn't that same perspective hold true in retrospect? Wouldn't I be better off spending $2k on an old amp that cost $4K when it first came out some years ago than I would be when buying a brand new lesser brand or model 2004 amp for $2K?

2. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

"Wouldn't I be better off spending $2k on an old amp that cost $4K when it first came out some years ago than I would be when buying a brand new lesser brand or model 2004 amp for $2K?"

In general, yes, but that is assuming the amp was worth 4k in the first place.
    [​IMG]

If you can take the chance on used amps (some warranties carry over some don't) you can get better deals for sure.

The amp I bought new (Sherbourn 5/1500a), on the other hand, when the reviews came out said you could spend close to double (it retailed for $1800 new but I got it for $1250) for an amp and not do any better.

I am a diminishing returns buyer and have had great luck so far purchasing used equipment.

For example....my setup
    Aragon SoundStage...paid $1300 used...retailed for $4000
    NHT VT2 speakers....paid $1000 used...retailed for $1800
    NHT VT1.2 speakers..paid $750 used....retailed for $1200

So I got $7,000 worth of equipment for slightly over $2,000. However, it must be pointed out that none of my used purchases were what I would consider risky buys. That part is hard to do.