Good amp for JMLabs Mezzo Utopias ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AndrewWong, Jul 14, 2002.

1. AndrewWong

AndrewWong Auditioning

Hi all,

I'm planning on using a pair of Mezzo Utopias for HT/HiFi front stereo.

I tried them with a Rotel RMB-1095 5x200W and then heard them with a Chord 350W/Ch stereo power amp. Needless to say the difference in sound quality was like day and night.

I've decided to focus on getting a good 2ch amp to drive the Utopias, and am looking for advice on a good 250-300W power amp around the US$2000-3000 price range.

The Utopias need an amp with a lot of drive, and I was looking at the Meridian 300w 2ch amp (559) but the local dealer won't sell it for anything less than his US$4500 RRP (I was going to buy a 596 DVD player too, but this idiot really gave me the s**ts).

Any comments from Mezzo Utopia / Meridian owners would be greatly appreciated !

2. John Dunlap

John Dunlap Stunt Coordinator

Mezzo Utopias?? You lucky *&^%$ !! I heard those at the Home Entertainment Exo. They are amazing!

Anyway, as far as an amp, I would definitely be looking at Audiogon and eBay for used amps. I think that's the only way you'll find something that's a major step up from the 1095 in that price range. Maybe a used Bryston???

3. AndrewWong

AndrewWong Auditioning

I haven't got them yet. Bloody expensive buggers, but they sound really good.

Unfortunately, if the cost of the amp required to drive them exceeds the budget, I can't afford them.

I have thought of buying one component per year just to get the Utopias.. they sound really really good with the right equipment.

4. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

The Mezzo Utopia's are very efficient...like 92.5db if I'm not mistaken. With that kind of efficiency, why do you need all that power?

I have heard stories of the Utopia line speakers being driven with tube amplification with wonderful results.

Perhaps to get a great amp that fits into your budget you might want to look for an amp with slightly less power, but higher quality sound reproduction, no? Perhaps something by Pass Labs would do the trick?

5. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

Although the Utopias are some of the best speakers one will ever hear, the $20,000 investment in speakers and amplification is staggering.
    You might want to look into the VMPS RM40 speakers powered by the AmpZillA 2000 amp by Jim Bongiorno.
    This speaker/amp combo won the "Best of Show" award at the CES in January which included the Utopias and other systems costing up to $40,000.
    The only problem is these speakers cost $4600 and the amp costs $5000.
    I wonder what you could do with the extra $10,400? [​IMG]
    I even know where you can get a substantial break off the packaged amp and speakers together if you're interested.
    Top to Bottom you (arguably) would be hard pressed find anything to beat this combo for sonic reproduction of the original musical event when well set up.
    Best Regards,
    John

6. AndrewWong

AndrewWong Auditioning

Re: comment about speaker efficency and power

Believe me, there's alot more to loudness than just dB efficency and power ratings ! I can testify from the test we did.

The Rotel just didn't have enough drive to control the Mezzo Utopia's 11" woofer. The sound was loud and sort of ran out of composure with complex music at high volumes (eg. Handel's Messiah) while the Chord amp breezed through still delivering pure listenable sound.

The big difference was in the bass. The Rotel (at 200W) made the Utopias sound a little thin and weak.. the Chord showed the true abilities of the speaker.

The shop had tried a Mark Levinson 200W amp there too.. and that didn't give a gutsy performance either.

7. EarlR

EarlR Stunt Coordinator

Andrew,
    Congratulations on the Mezzo Utopia's they are a fantastic speaker. I would recommend trying to pick up a used Classe CA300, 301 or CA400, 401. The 400, 401 would be a little over your budget but it would really make the speakers sound great.

Earl

8. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

Try some tube amps since the JM Labs are efficient. Cary Audio SET amps, Krell SS amps, Classe SSamps, Byston SS. Your JM labs deserve those.

9. AndrewWong

AndrewWong Auditioning

Where I am in the world, the Mezzo Utopia's can be bought for around $8-9k US (Asia)

Still a whole lotta love ... and they look nice too (WAF !)

10. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

I haven't heard them myself, but I have heard that they are great speakers (for what its worth).!!!

Good Luck