1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Good Amp for B&W604 mains & LCR6

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Barteaux, Aug 24, 2001.

1. David Barteaux

David Barteaux Stunt Coordinator

I want to upgrade from reciever to seperate amp. Any suggestions for my set up?

2. rin

rin Stunt Coordinator

Hi David,
    what surrounds are you using? I have the same speaker setup as you(604 mains, LCR6 center) and 602's for surrounds.
    I picked up a Parasound 2205 amp(220w X 5) and am very happy with this combo. This setup is used for 50/50 music/movies and does very nicely for both IMO.
    I had a 100w X 5 Rotel amp previously which powered the 602's as mains(before I got the 604's) and it was a very good match with the B&W's also.
    I would say to let your own ears be the judge though.
    Hope this helps,
    rin
    ------------------
    My Home Theater

3. Shanthi

Shanthi Stunt Coordinator

Hi Rin,
    What kind of receiver do you have and did you try powering the B&W with your amp?
    Thanks

4. John LaB

John LaB Agent

Dave-
    I feed my 603's with a Carver 705 THX.
    125 x 5, 200 x 2 and it has Carver's 'Power Steering'
    What are you driving them with now?
    -jpl

5. rin

rin Stunt Coordinator

Shanthi,
    in answer to your first question, I am using a Parasound pre-amp, not a receiver. I tried the B&W's with both the Rotel and the Parasound amps with great results.
    rin
    where did Dave go?
    ------------------
    My Home Theater

6. Niclas

Niclas Auditioning

Hi !
    Please help me whith my setup. I have 604S2 fronts, LCR6 ,602S2 for rear and a Paradigm PS1000 Subwoofer.
    My harman/kardon AVR4000 havent the power for the speakers and it didn´t sound clear and transparent in hifimode, so I bought a Denon AVC-A10SE (4800 in USA)last month. It sounds better but its not clear in hi-mid/treble. What could I do?
    I tryed to change my speakercable to Monster M1.4 biwiringcable whith less success. Perhaps i should buy some carpets to the woodfloor ?Is it because I play CDs from my DVD (philips 750)?
    Please help a newbie and sorry for bad spelling.
    Regards // Niclas
    [Edited last by Niclas on November 17, 2001 at 10:21 AM]

7. george king

george king Supporting Actor

I just got a Rotel RMB 1075 (120 watts X 5) and I am using Kef Q series speakers all around (Q55 fronts, Q15 rears and Q95C for the center). These are fairly high sensitivity speakers (92 dB), and I do not listen at very loud levels. That said, here is a brief assessment of the improvements I have heard with the Rotel amp. I am not an audiophile (although I really enjoy music), so my terms may not be correct.
    1. The soundstage is wider and deeper. My wife immediately commented on this, which is quite surprising, since audio (as compared to video) is not that important to her (when I upgraded speakers from some small Cambridge Soundworks cubes to the Kefs, my wife did not hear much of an improvement.
    2. The sound is significantly cleaner which is probably due to the better grip the amp has. Every sonic event has a distinct boundry. In comparison, the Yamaha sounds a bit smeared and fuzzy.
    Hometheater
    I would say that there was about a 60% improvement over the Yamaha. There is better stearing of events between the speakers, and the bass is much tighter and more controlled. Dialog is clearer, and more intelligable. Overall there was a significant improvement.
    Music
    The improvement really can’t be quantified, because the Rotel amp makes it sound like a whole new system. I would never, ever go back because the improvement is so amazing and breath taking. The key improvement is the presence of details that I have never heard before. Here are some examples.
    Diana Krall (Why should I care off When I look into Your Eyes). With the Yamaha, the snare drum sounded like a hiss. I originally thought there might be a connection problem because it really sounded like background noise and hissing. With the Rotel, I swear you can hear the individual bristles gliding over the snare drum.
    Diana Krall (Lets fall in love off When I look into Your Eyes). With the Yamaha, the piano had a harsh, metallic sound. With the Rotel, the piano had a liquidy sound, and you could hear the extended decay of the notes.
    Holly Cole (Everyday will be a holiday off don’t smoke in bed) – the bass was tight and “snappy.”
    Everything but the Girl (Acoustic) – you can “feel” the snap of the pick across the guitar strings with the Rotel.
    DiMeola et al. (Friday night in San Francisco) – IMO one of the greatest live performances ever. With the Rotel, this is simply an amazing CD. With the Yamaha, when they thump their guitars, it always sound dead. With the Rotel, you can hear the hollowness of the guitar and the snaps of the strings.
    To sum it up, this really was an amazing upgrade to my system, that even my wife noticed (which again, is saying something). Your mileage may vary, but this a spectacular upgrade.
    Hope this helps.