What's new

Good Allergy Eye Drops?? (1 Viewer)

Phil_L

Second Unit
I hate this time of year. Some days my eyes are bad enough that I can't wear my contacts and at night become VERY and itchy and dry. Anyone know a good over the counter allergy eyedrop?

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I just had an opthalmology lecture that mentioned Opcon-A as being the best over-the-counter drops for controlling allergy symptoms.

He also said never to use more than one drop of any eye-drop solution--the eye can't hold the volume and the second drop would just wash out the first drop, wasting expensive medicine. Place one drop, close your eye, block the tear duct at the corner of your eye by your nose, and hold for two minutes.

Unless you have been diagnosed with allergies, you may want to consider getting an eye exam. I saw a bunch of nasty stuff that can mimic allergies. You want to be sure that it is not something more serious.

Good luck!

Phil_L

Second Unit
Thanks Chris. I was long ago diagnosed with allergies, so I am hoping I don't have any of the nasty stuff you mentioned. I'll have to try the Opcon!

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
why not try prescription allergy medicine?

i was a long-time sufferer (i mean my whole life) until my wife essentially started forcing me to take prescription medication -- since my allergies were driving her crazy. for some reason, i just never thought about going to the doctor for a prescription.

now i walk around saying "flonase is your friend".

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Flonase is not effective for symptoms specific to the eye. It is great for controlling nasal symptoms.

For a prescription, go with what your doctor recommends, not what you see on commercials.

Opcon-A costs about $6-7. A prescription will cost much more, plus the cost of a trip to the doctor.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
In case you ever want to go the prescription route, Patanol has worked great for me.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Patanol is a lifesaver. And since you're supposed to get an annual eye exam, just ask for a scrip when you're there. With multiple refills.

M.

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
My son suffers terribly with allergies.
Patanol has been great for him. He knows after he comes in from playing in the yard, it's eyedrop time.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Patanol is the most commonly prescribed medicine for ocular allergies. The ophthalmologist here loves the stuff, but recommends Opcon-A as the most cost-effective solution for mild-to-moderate symptoms.

If it was me, I would try the cheap stuff first. If that didn't work after a few days, I would make an appointment to see an ophthalmologist.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I have allergies and was prescribed Naphcon until it went over-the-counter. It worked very well; though I used it in conjuction with Beconase (sp?) for the general symptoms. Is Naphcon a brand specific Opcon-A?

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Opcon-A and Naphcon-A are essentially the same combination decongestant/antihistamine:

Opcon-A
Ingredients: Pheniramine Maleate (0.315%), Naphazoline Hydrochloride (0.02675%)

Naphcon-A
Ingredients: Pheniramine Maleate (0.3%), Naphazoline Hydrochloride (0.025%)

FYI: Patanol is a combination antihistamine and mast cell stabilizer. The stabilizing effect acts to prevent the release of substances which cause allergic symptoms (histamines and leukotrienes).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks