1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Good 5 Chan Amp

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoelM, May 11, 2002.

1. JoelM

JoelM Stunt Coordinator

Try to bridge the amp if you can and use the remaining channel for the center and use your Denon for the surrounds. I'm going to go with the Parasound2003(200X3) for my front stage and use the 855 for the surrounds.

2. JoelM

JoelM Stunt Coordinator

Expecting a night and day difference is far from what you should look for. You just added more power...cleaner power. When you crank it you probably will notice a change.

3. ChrisB

ChrisB Stunt Coordinator

Well once again this forun has cost me money, I won a bid on the 885 today for 349. I have been curious also to see what kind of diffrence it would have on a Denon 3802 and Paradigm 60's, we shall see. How long did it take for you guys to get your amps?

4. bruce townley

bruce townley Stunt Coordinator

ChrisB--I ordered mine on Sunday, and it arrived on Thursday. If you read the previous posts, it would appear to be more of UPS's problem, rather than UBID's. I would agree with Ken that this is not a "night and day" difference. More of a Night to dusk difference. Have you ever noticed how much more you can see at dusk than night? [​IMG]
    Sorry that Ken did not notice much difference. I am using an Integra 7.2. After hooking it up tonight, and ONLY playing once cd, I noticed three differences right away. First, my bass was louder, and I had to turn down my subwoofer. (Def Tech P15tl) I know, I know, this makes no sense, considering I was running the sub through the receiver before and after, but there it is. Second, I did not have to turn my volume up as loud, despite the fact the Integra is rated at >100 watts per channel, and the Parasound is "only" 85. Third, and no question, the sound was clearer, more "full" As JoelM, states, simply better sound. For $400 total, I could not recommend a better product for the sound results.
    Also, due to my haste, and not waiting for the catcables I ordered, I only have the parasound hooked up with (gasp) old rca cables that came with a cd player, vcr, etc.!!! Can't wait to see what happens with the cats.[​IMG]
    I did not gain a Hum, as feared, although I do not have cable either, In fact, both this reciever and my previous gave a "buzz" when no sound was being player, if I turned up the volume. This was eliminated through the amp. I must be the only person on this forum that actually ELIMINATED hum by adding an amp.!!

5. Marvin E

Marvin E Stunt Coordinator

I won two of the Parasound HCA-855's from UBID. I'm going to use my Sherwood R863 as a preamp. Now, I need to invest in a new audio stand because of the weight.

6. ChrisB

ChrisB Stunt Coordinator

How are you guys planning on turning these on with the 12v triggers? I also want to verify that these can be bridged, does anyone know?

Bruce, thanks for the info, I see your a fellow michiganer! I am thinking of Bridging two of the channels for my fronts(Paradigm 60's) then using the left over one for the front. I will probally start with driving all 5 with it at first, and if it dosnt sound to much diffrent move to the bridging.

7. JoelM

JoelM Stunt Coordinator

Biamp your front 2 mains and center and use the other 4 channels for your surround speakers. You will be putting 170 watts into each speaker in your frontstage. As far as turn-ons use the DC trigger connections.

8. bruce townley

bruce townley Stunt Coordinator

ChrisB - Radio Sack has a wire with a 1/8" mini-plug to two-wire connection that works perfectly for the 12 volt trigger on my Integra.

Still playing old music/cds, movies, etc. just to hear the differences.

9. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

10. ChrisB

ChrisB Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Phil and Bruce, This may seem like a stupid question and I may see the answer when I get the amp this week, but to Bi-amp would I need some sort of spliter for say the fronts, I think there is only one pre-out for each the left and right channel, or is there some sort of switch on the amp to have two of the channels work off one input?

11. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Yes, you'll need to split the signal. Shouldn't be a problem.

12. Brian Treinen

Brian Treinen Stunt Coordinator

If you're still looking for cables go to ebay and search for DH Labs silversonic. Someone there makes them - actually just terminates them. You can get a set of 5 for $135 - less if you don't need them 3ft. long. I'm using two pair of DH Labs terminated silversonics and they are outstanding for the $$. Silver coated copper cabling.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1352986769
    I am not the guy selling them nor do I know that person. I've only emailed him for prices.

13. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Ken, you will not see a difference because the 4802 has a pretty good amplifier. I was in a similar situation where I tried a B&K amp and used my 4802 as a pre/pro but could not tell a difference at all. I mean there must be some improvement but not to the extent of paying the added price for an external amp IMHO.