What's new

Good 37" Wide HDTV? (1 Viewer)

Jim Mack

Auditioning
I would like to get the biggest possible HDTV to fit into a cabinet in our bedroom. Max width 37", depth 21", so 37" diagonal is about it. We have a Toshiba 34HFX84 CRT in our family room that is great, but too deep and waaay too heavy. I'm fine with LCD, Plasma, DLP or similar technology, CableCARD would be nice but not a deal killer. Trying to search all the manufacturer's websites is making me crazy. Any suggestions as to what I should look at? I'd like to keep it at $2000 or less.

I'll be watching HD and SD on cable, TiVo and someday soon Series 3 TiVo!

Thanks,

Jim

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I purchased a 37" Panasonic HD Plasma a few months ago. At the time it was a little more than $2K but I would imagine it's in your price range by now. Just make sure you get the HD one, not the ED one. Very nice bang for the buck.

Jim Mack

Auditioning
At 38+", it exceeds my limit on width. Anyone know where I can find the size specs on the new Panasonic 37" plasma introduced at CES? (TH-37PX60U) It looks thinner...

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I can't find a spec sheet on the new model from Panasonic, just speculation from CES reports. However, looking at the picture it appears that if the image is correct you would probably shave about 1.5 - 2.0 inches off my unit coming in at 37" or less for the width measurement. It certainly has a thinner frame than my 37" TH50.

Unless the picture is distorted you can take the 37" diagonal of the set and mentally rotate it to see how it compares to the width of the set. Unless it's an optical illusion it looks like the set is not as wide as the 37" diagonal of the picture.

Of course, this is only a guess and no substitute for the real spec sheet. If you can wait until Spring (release date mentioned) I'm sure that the specs will be out well before then.

I see that the MSRP is $2199, about $300 less than the MSRP of the prior model. Therefore this set would definitely fall within your $2000 budget, allowing for normal street pricing.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks